Figuring the cost

Help Support CattleToday:

gus2121

Reaction score
I bought a group of heifers last fall that were a little smaller than I like, prob weighed around 850-900 at calving time, but were a good price. My question is with the calf market as high as it is right now, would I be better off to wean the calves early and recoop more than half my costs, let the heifers get bigger and breed back OR let them raise the calves till this fall and risk being open?

Of course I am in it to make money, but I also plan on it being a way of life one day. They are excellent heifers but I have heard people say that they will wean at 2-3 month old calves and others say they don't want them to expect to only raise a calf for a couple months and quit

Weaning the calves a little early is probably a good idea but if you have them in good flesh I doubt they will have a problem breeding back. Mel

I sold calves yesterday and had one little calf that I went ahead and sold. She weighed 365 lbs and brought 2.68lb.

I would go ahead and sell, if it were me. It would give the heifers a break, plus recoup some of your costs. There's a lot tighter profit margin once the calves get past a certain size. We'll probably be shipping all of our Jan/Feb heifers' calves here in the next week or two. Figuring they should be worth $800+ ?! Sometimes you just gotta take the money and run!!

I wish these were Jan/Feb calves, but they are mid march calves. I am pulling the bulls out July 31st. The heifers are holding up really well right now but summer is coming and the calves will pull harder on them the bigger they get. I guess I would like to know what the breed back percentage people are having on heifers?

what is the frame size on these heifers? are they in good rig? if they bred small first time, they are probably easy breeders. it may be easier to feed the heifers 2-3 lbs of corn through breeding time while leaving the calves on as nothing grows a calf like its mother.

I guess it depends on if you need the money now or later. If you need to recoup your costs now, then sell.

I would say they are BCS 5. They are with my mature cows and all in one herd. I don't mind feeding at all but I don't have an extra bull YET to pull them out of the herd and feed them. I don't need to recoup the money right now, just don't like feeding open cows in winter and waiting another year. I palpate every fall and what ever is open goes. Thanks for everyone's input!

Your forage base in my opinion plays the biggest role in your decision. If grass is poor and tight I would wean at 3 months. If grass is good and the heifers are holding condition I would leave them paired.

You could always pull the heifers calves a month or so earlier than normal to give them a little extra time to start cycling.

My forage in my opinion is pretty good. I am a rotational grazer. I have 120 acres and I try to chicken litter 40 acres a year. I don't like to feed worms in my cows or weeds in my pasture. They are on Bermuda rye grass mixture right now belly deep. Are there any tips or tricks that have seemed to work for anyone to get them to start cycling? I have heard of holding the calves 24-36 hours??

I've read articles on pulling calves for a short period but have never tried it. Mineral companies sell some products that are supposed to aide in breed back. Again, never tried it personally.