Field fence roller

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
I need to put up quite a bit of hog wire and need to make a roller for the 3-point hitch. I have some ideas on how to build but was wondering if any had any pictures of one or links to see some. I was unable to google find any.

I just stake it down at the top of a hill and kick it. Helps to have someone at the bottom to stop the unrolling process, I don;t run fast enough to be able to catch it anymore.

dun

flaboy?":zhvntq8l said:
Hey Dun, downhill here is 1 inch drop every 10 miles. :shock:

Haven't sen anything that flat in years. Here it's more alike a foot in a foot. Roofs are flatter then the terraine

dun

dun":1osmz39p said:
flaboy?":1osmz39p said:
Hey Dun, downhill here is 1 inch drop every 10 miles. :shock:

Haven't sen anything that flat in years. Here it's more alike a foot in a foot. Roofs are flatter then the terraine

dun

Hey Dun, you were talking about a crop that was in plentiful supply in the Ozarks the other day. May be a use for them at the bottom of the hill. :lol:

I have one like you're talking about, basically a big rectanglar frame with a pipe that goes down thru the roll, then has an arm that pivots around and clamps the wire at the back, held tight by 3 cam buckles. Don't have any pictures off hand but if you're interested I can try to take a couple this weekend. Mine came from a local high-school, they were selling them for $250. Works ok.

Neighbor made an unroller by removing the auger from his post digger and attaching a piece of pipe with a plate under the roll, unrolls it with that and uses a wooden stretcher on it, cheap and works.

cfpinz

cfpinz, sounds like yours is what I am looking for. I have an old 3-point piece but kind of wanted to have the pipe and seat that the roll sets on to spin with the rolling of wire. If I had an old used spindle and hub it would be easy. Can't see spending $40 for a new one. Funny I threw one away a few weeks ago. Figures huh?

The post hole digger idea sounds pretty good too. Just need a means of keeping it from swinging I guess.

I was also thinking about going horizontal. Pipe lays horizontal off of a couple of arms sticking out from the 3-point. May do that because that way without the spinner on a vertical unit, the bottom end wouldn't get ground down that way.

Mine has a round piece of flat metal a little larger than the diameter of the roll, made out of 1/8" or thinner sheet metal, with a hole in the middle for the pipe to go thru. Easy enough to replace if I wear it out. I spoke to the shop teacher at the school that built them, he said the only expensive piece was the rear upright which was bent into an s-shape so the wire could be clamped to it by the angle iron swinging arm. Everything else was off the shelf steel.

cfpinz

I put mine on the hay spear, tie it to the mule and take off.

Barbed wire too.

MikeC":2iar30qu said:

Barbed wire too.

So your spear is setting in the back of the mule in the vertical position?

I built one for my loader, I can dump my loader down, stab a roll
and then I just back up. I built a base plate out of some 10 gauge steel plate, then used a piece of pipe for an upright. I didnt use a 3 pt rig, b/c it's too hard unhook the belltec & driver. But honestly half the time, we just roll it out by hand
b/c it's faster. Gitter done :lol:

flaboy?":2c68hnth said:
MikeC":2c68hnth said:

Barbed wire too.

So your spear is setting in the back of the mule in the vertical position?

No, the spear is on the tractor. Tie the end of the wire to the mule.

tartergate.com

Click on products
then farm equipment
then 3-pt equipment
then wire/fence stretcher

works great!

Got more pictures, but I got mad when it took 23 minutes to load this one. I'll be happy to get any dimensions you need if you want them. The only thing I would change about it is the way it clamps the wire in the back. I'd use two flat surfaces with a 2x4 bolted to each one, wire has a tendancy to slip thru the metal jaws.

Img_0816.jpg

cfpinz

Thanks all. I threw something together this weekend from scraps I had laying around. Hooks up to the 3 point with a platform for the wire to sit on. 3 1/2 inch dia pipe vertical sitting in the center of an 18 inch square plate. The plate and pipe are all reinforce underneath with 1 1/2 x 1/4 angle iron welded to the plate and the pipe. The whole thing is hinged to the 3 point mount so it can swing down to be loaded and then swing back up to vertical. I will give it a try next weekend. The hogs are still tearing up one of my hay fields. :x