Fescue seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
I know it is well after prime time. What is the latest anyone has gone with success? With all this rain i'm running well behind. And poured 3 inchs out of gauge tonight.

I frost seed later but my only concern now would be it not getting enough growth before freezing. If i did i would add rye to help protect it

Dogs and Cows":2tjalswk said:
This is funny....I was going to ask the same question! I am frustrated because I really wanted to get the fescue seeded.

Kenny, you frost seed fescue? When? Good success? I am worried that if I did something like that I wouldn't get good enough stand before the heat of summer kicked in...thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim I wouldn't suggest that for this area. I am holding off on planting some new ground till next year. I think we have a frost warning here next week

Dogs and Cows":uqu8ftdw said:
skyhightree1":uqu8ftdw said:
Dogs and Cows":uqu8ftdw said:
This is funny....I was going to ask the same question! I am frustrated because I really wanted to get the fescue seeded.

Kenny, you frost seed fescue? When? Good success? I am worried that if I did something like that I wouldn't get good enough stand before the heat of summer kicked in...thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim I wouldn't suggest that for this area. I am holding off on planting some new ground till next year. I think we have a frost warning here next week

Jules, will you seed in spring or fall?

Tim, I plan on planting spring oats then something like pearl millet and doing the fescue in the fall that's when I developed my best stands.

I see loggers seeding log decks and log roads all fall and winter. Sometimes just spreading it on bare ground works great. Sometimes not. Whatever you do add a nurse crop of annual rye, wheat, oats, or something.

Well i did some last week. And going to just put a regular cover crop of wheat on the the rest next week. I will decide what to do come spring. I have good stands of fescue seeded in spring both worked and no till, and some that flopped just depended on how fast it got hot and dry.

I did late October last year, 40# each of fescue and wheat. It's thick fescue now. Cousin did similar in August, he has about a half a stand. I wouldn't seed in the spring, always sew grass in a month that ends in R is the standard I've always heard.

kenny thomas":1y935dcv said:
I see loggers seeding log decks and log roads all fall and winter. Sometimes just spreading it on bare ground works great. Sometimes not.

The talking heads call this domormate seeding - - when the soil temp is low enough that the seed will not sprout till spring. Not ideal. Better to wait in mamy cases.

not to derail this entirely, but has anyone worked with the Cajun II.....or other supposedly endophyte free versions in the southeast regions.....??? Fall seeding seems to becoming a later and later possibility also as the frost dates move a bit later.

BFE":25qsv4w0 said:
I did late October last year, 40# each of fescue and wheat. It's thick fescue now. Cousin did similar in August, he has about a half a stand. I wouldn't seed in the spring, always sew grass in a month that ends in R is the standard I've always heard.

That's when you go crabbing here, the months with an R.

Ken

Latest posts