Fescue Seed?? Cheap this yr?

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
Hubby was saying the other day that fescue seed is supposedly only going to be 25 cents lb.

Makes it difficult for many to combine at that price. Anyone else heard any rumblings??

Last year it was 38 and that was hard for many who had fertilized at $1,000 ton.

The truth is that it is impossible to know what the price of fescue will be this early in the year. The bad economy will keep carry-over inventory a little higher than normal (which will hurt the price) but a lot of the price will depend on how much fescue is in the country. If it's a great year for seed production and there is tons of seed it will be cheaper. If it's a terrible year and there isn't as much seed it will be the same price or maybe a little higher.

The weather has a huge effect on how much seed is produced. No one can actually predict what the price will be until mid May at the earliest.

smuff76":9qygwupe said:
The truth is that it is impossible to know what the price of fescue will be this early in the year. The bad economy will keep carry-over inventory a little higher than normal (which will hurt the price) but a lot of the price will depend on how much fescue is in the country. If it's a great year for seed production and there is tons of seed it will be cheaper. If it's a terrible year and there isn't as much seed it will be the same price or maybe a little higher.

The weather has a huge effect on how much seed is produced. No one can actually predict what the price will be until mid May at the earliest.
Also has an effect on the need for seed.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but in the last couple of weeks I have heard of price support in the 25 cent range for this harvest, and to be honest I am amazed that it is that high. There are honestly barn FULL of uncleaned fescue seed that have never had any seed in them in march, ever! Most buyers/cleaners I have talked to plan on having uncleaned carry over seed at this years harvest. The cleaned bag market for k31 right now is around 42 cents in Oregon, and rangeds from 40 to 60 in Missouri. Just using those numbers, usually cleaned bag seed is worth double of uncleaned seed or 40cents over, which ever is lower. With 42 cent bagged seed, that = 21 cent uncleaned seed. Oregon has a lot of k31 that is first or second year contracts because k31 had been outselling turf types. Most guys in Oregon plan on rotating out of them if k31 prices stay low, but not until the stands are at least 4 years old. With the economy the way it is, we will probably see enough k31 come from Oregon alone to fill all domestic need. So I really don't think it matters how much Missouri produces, its just going to matter on how much credit buyers can get and how much seed the world uses, after all, demand is half of supply and demand, we always worry about how much seed is going to be produced and how it will effect price, but none of that matters when nobody buys it. I am voting that if you are from oak ridge that you sell to buckheits??. Did they quote you at 25? Because the last couple of years they have been 3-5 cents under southwest Missouri.

I think the hubby's boss did take most of it to Buchheits.......... there is also another about 10 miles away but I don't think they took very much there.

I know its enabled us to rent pasture earlier this year because the fella is not having his fescue seed combined.

Latest posts