Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I just had my hay patch cut and baled (Tifton 85). The guy that cut it told me I should apply 300lbs/acre nitrogen plus sulfur but my soil sample from Texas A&M says to apply 100lbs/acre nitrogen after each cut. So my question is do I listen to the guy that cuts and bales hay for a living or Texas A&M? Any input is appreciated.

Texas A&M was probably saying 100 units instead of pounds. If so that would be about the same if you used 300lbs. of 34-0-0.
:welcome:

Critterskinner":23cifj3i said:
I just had my hay patch cut and baled (Tifton 85). The guy that cut it told me I should apply 300lbs/acre nitrogen plus sulfur but my soil sample from Texas A&M says to apply 100lbs/acre nitrogen after each cut. So my question is do I listen to the guy that cuts and bales hay for a living or Texas A&M? Any input is appreciated.

I would go with A&M's recommendation. My latest soil sample report from A&M also used "pounds" instead of units.

Only use that amount if you got plenty of water because that is the optimal rate for maximum growth. I'd back it down to 75 lbs of N unless you got irrigation.

When TAMU says apply 100 lbs of N, they mean 100 lbs of actual N. That would be about 215 lbs per acre of urea (46-0-0), 300 lbs per acre of ammonium nitrate (34-0-0) or 475 lbs per acre of ammonium sulfate (21-0-0). Shop for the best price per lb of actual N.

Ditto on what bc and highgrit said soil samples are reported in actual n not lbs of nitrogen fertilizer. I would also watch your potash to prolong your stand, bermuda removes potash at a high rate, and this will prolong your stand.

Okay the guy at the feed store said he would put out the fertilizer to cover 100 lbs/acre. He put 2500 lbs of 30-0-0 2S on my 10 acres. By my figures that is only 75 lbs/acre. Is this what you guys calculate?

The A&M soil report probably also had a yeld goal associated with the fertilization recomendation. Before you make any decisions you should decide if that is your actual yeild goal or not.

Latest posts