Fertilizer recomendation?

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had such great help and tips from this site - I thought I'd ask what folks use to fertilize their pastures - and when. I'm in Goliad County, TX - with roughly 50 acres of pasture. It's not well maintained, but I plan on changing that. There's some coastal on it mixed with a lot of some kind of bluestem (I'm told). I'm sure it hasn't been fertilized in many years and would like to start on it soon. So, anyone have recommendations on liquid vs granular? Any particular brand folks like? I have a 200 gallon sprayer - so I'm thinking liquid would be a good idea... but not sure if that's the best. And is it good enough just to get the grass wet with the liquid fertilizer, of how much needs to be applied? I have some large areas to cover - so cost is a factor. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

You need to get a soil sample test first.that getcha going the right direction.

Soil test first to see if you need to adjust the ph of the soil and what it's lacking. If the ph is off you will not utilize all the fertilizer efficiently. Liquid will give the grass a boost but unless you spray it every couple of weeks you will see more benefit from granular. Its been my experience the price evens out. With some soil test results you can get better advice.

A soil test here costs $7.00 per. I have the results emailed to me and forward it to our Extension Agent. He deciphers the numbers and tells me what blend of fertilizer I need.
It does not seem that everyone has a good Extension Agent. Our's is great and a walking encyclopedia.
For $7 I have an expert tell me what I need. Their job is to help us.

The local fertilizer companies will also run a soil test for free. When they decipher and recommend I have to remember they are in the fertilizer selling business.

i just priced fert an 17-17-17 is $475 a ton with me spreading.i seen some liquid fert for $25 an ac.the reg fert is going to cost about $50 an ac.where chicken litter in our area is $140 an ac spread on 3 tons.