fertilizer mix

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
In southeast Louisiana - what is the common fertilizer breakdown for spring grass? I've read mixed info....some say don't fertilize in spring and if you do go light on N.

Depends on where you are in Southeast Louisiana, there is a huge difference in the soil between the Florida Parishes and the Mississippi River delta blackjack gumbo. The hills across the river from me have solid red soil that is full of rusty iron. They can grow blueberries like crazy, we cannot grow blueberries or azaleas over here unless they are directly under a pine tree.

Never hurts to do a soil test, but unless you have your drainage squared away you will get different results for different spots.

No matter where you are you cannot mess up your pasture by adding lime.

JW LSU alumnus

I agree with everything jw said. I would recommend getting the soil tested. If you are in the Florida parishes you probably need lime. But to answer your question if your going to fertilize without testing the soil 100 to 150 lbs of 17-17-17 per acre applied right now sure wouldn't hurt anything. It's really impossible to know without testing though. And if your ph is low your fertilizer will not work as well.

Deepsouth":ygsm8dtc said:
I agree with everything jw said. I would recommend getting the soil tested. If you are in the Florida parishes you probably need lime. But to answer your question if your going to fertilize without testing the soil 100 to 150 lbs of 17-17-17 per acre applied right now sure wouldn't hurt anything. It's really impossible to know without testing though. And if your ph is low your fertilizer will not work as well.
they no longer make 17-17-17 due to gov regs.its 17-17-19.5 and in our area the price is $452 a ton.thanks to our good rain we canceled our fert order.

bigbull338":2ga1si4q said:
Deepsouth":2ga1si4q said:
they no longer make 17-17-17 due to gov regs.its 17-17-19.5 and in our area the price is $452 a ton.thanks to our good rain we canceled our fert order.

Must be a TEXAS reg or it was very recent. We still have 17-17-17 in Okla.

Latest posts