Ferappease

Help Support CattleToday:

" Maternal Bovine Appeasing Substance (MBAS). MBAS is a naturally occurring substance that is secreted by the skin of the mammary gland of lactating animals, eliminating stress in all beef cattle treated."

Does it work on men :)
I got enough on my hands to say possibly. Not sure I was calmer but didn't get upset at all yesterday. I got a dose of Triangle 5 too, not sure what it'll do for me.

I think you have to apply it to your poll, that would be the top pf your head I guess, and the bridge of your nose like a calf. I suppose this stuff is also excreted by lactating women. Someone needs to do some research.

I have done 2 groups so far. Also z comparison groups. The last group at 10-12cc. This is their second day so will update after 4 days.

I think you have to apply it to your poll, that would be the top pf your head I guess, and the bridge of your nose like a calf. I suppose this stuff is also excreted by lactating women. Someone needs to do some research.
Research on lactating women ??
Shouldn't be too hard to get volunteers 😂

Took the nose flaps out of the calves and put them in the fence line weaning pen yesterday.

I also shot 10cc on the moms cuz I didn't want to hear them bellyaching.

One of the cows took off and never looked back, It could care less about that calf.

The other one set quietly beside her calf on the fence.

I haven't heard one sound out of the cows or calves .....I have to say that it definitely makes a difference.

We recently weaned 3 groups. Applied Ferappease to 2 groups. There was 18 head in the first group I applied Ferrappease too. Applied an average of 9.2 cc per calf. Most calves in the 600-725 lb range. The second group was 7 head I applied 12 cc per head. For the 25 head I used 250cc. Also didn't treat 10 head for a comparison group. 100% of those in the untreated group ate grain twice a day till we turned ou on day four as the 18 head we treated did. Turned them out on day 4 also. Not much difference in those 2 groups. Both groups bawled around 2 1/2 days. Had 2 of the 7 head group I had to drive to the feed trough. One ate one bite and walked away on day 2. Drove them to the trough again this morning on day 3. All seemed calm and content so ran the heifers through the chute this afternoon and turned them out. Didn't seem any calmer. As many who know our herd including our vets have said they have doubts we will see much difference as they say our calves are the calmest and most docile they raise. The 7 head did quit bawling after day 2 a day earlier than the other 2 groups. IMO on small groups it is hard too make a fair comparison. I sold a crippled cow last week that had a 400 lb late July heifer on her. Kept the heifer. Saw her suck shortly before I weaned her. She never bawled and been content and eating good. IMO it is another tool in the box but for us not a game changer. I feel if we bought unweaned calves it would be of more benefit. I plan too use it on those we AI next spring. As for weaning I may try it again as at this time the jury is still out. We have had no issues so feel maybe our herd isn't a fair test.

We used 5cc ferappease on our group of 55 last Monday. I was really surprised at how calm they were Tuesday through Thursday. Friday they were a touch flighty when I filled the water trough and today they were a little worse. Both times they ran off but came right back. I'd say the stuff works but like @elkwc I'm not sure it will become something we use every year and our group might not be a fair test.

We recently weaned 3 groups. Applied Ferappease to 2 groups. There was 18 head in the first group I applied Ferrappease too. Applied an average of 9.2 cc per calf. Most calves in the 600-725 lb range. The second group was 7 head I applied 12 cc per head. For the 25 head I used 250cc. Also didn't treat 10 head for a comparison group. 100% of those in the untreated group ate grain twice a day till we turned ou on day four as the 18 head we treated did. Turned them out on day 4 also. Not much difference in those 2 groups. Both groups bawled around 2 1/2 days. Had 2 of the 7 head group I had to drive to the feed trough. One ate one bite and walked away on day 2. Drove them to the trough again this morning on day 3. All seemed calm and content so ran the heifers through the chute this afternoon and turned them out. Didn't seem any calmer. As many who know our herd including our vets have said they have doubts we will see much difference as they say our calves are the calmest and most docile they raise. The 7 head did quit bawling after day 2 a day earlier than the other 2 groups. IMO on small groups it is hard too make a fair comparison. I sold a crippled cow last week that had a 400 lb late July heifer on her. Kept the heifer. Saw her suck shortly before I weaned her. She never bawled and been content and eating good. IMO it is another tool in the box but for us not a game changer. I feel if we bought unweaned calves it would be of more benefit. I plan too use it on those we AI next spring. As for weaning I may try it again as at this time the jury is still out. We have had no issues so feel maybe our herd isn't a fair test.
Why or what are you going to use it for AI? I haven't heard that one.

In my experience, (no ferapease), Jersey cows cry for a week when their calf is sold away. My husband's beef cows cry for a day or day and a half at most. I believe it is because Jerseys are more emotional. For 1000 years they were kept as house cows on the Isle of Jersey. I don't know what the half Angus calves behaved since they went to auction.97244259_2974077125962681_2699103778342174720_n.jpg
thumbnail_daphne flymask.jpg
100_2129 (2).JPG

200 head weaned as 5 weights. Ranch calves, not overly wild but also not raised as pets. Prescribed dosage and application location.
In 60 days the calves outgained previously untreated groups by +\-25#. Sick treatments went from +\- 1/3 of calves to a handfull.
At today's prices those calves made an extra +\-$13,000. Take the cost of the product out and they still brought over $10,000 more than previous groups untreated. That's not even counting the cost of medicine to treat sick calves.
For me, game changer is an understatement.

200 head weaned as 5 weights. Ranch calves, not overly wild but also not raised as pets. Prescribed dosage and application location.
In 60 days the calves outgained previously untreated groups by +\-25#. Sick treatments went from +\- 1/3 of calves to a handfull.
At today's prices those calves made an extra +\-$13,000. Take the cost of the product out and they still brought over $10,000 more than previous groups untreated. That's not even counting the cost of medicine to treat sick calves.
For me, game changer is an understatement.
That's really good info. I'd like to know what you fed each group of calves, how long you plan on keeping them, and if you think that weight will stick with them or the others will eventually catch up. Also were these bought or home raised calves. I can definitely see it making a bigger difference in bought vs home raised calves.

They were home raised calves. After weaning they are preconditioned for 60 days. They receive 10# of feed each day at a cost of $1.79/head per day. And they have free choice hay when the grass is not sufficient. As for the others catching up, it would be possible, but since I sell them at the end of 60 day conditioning period, I have no test group for further down the chain. They made me more money, and surely did not negatively affect them down the road.
Had I bought these calves, I agree it could even make a bigger impact since trucking and co mingling are huge stress points that affect calves the most.
There's a real return on investment in spending a little to reduce stress in cattle. That's why I advocate so much for giving a dose that will surely have the best effect on as many head as possible. We as cattlemen cut so many corners to save a penny here and a penny there that it almost becomes second nature for us to try to cut even the pennys that make us dollars.

They were home raised calves. After weaning they are preconditioned for 60 days. They receive 10# of feed each day at a cost of $1.79/head per day. And they have free choice hay when the grass is not sufficient. As for the others catching up, it would be possible, but since I sell them at the end of 60 day conditioning period, I have no test group for further down the chain. They made me more money, and surely did not negatively affect them down the road.
Had I bought these calves, I agree it could even make a bigger impact since trucking and co mingling are huge stress points that affect calves the most.
There's a real return on investment in spending a little to reduce stress in cattle. That's why I advocate so much for giving a dose that will surely have the best effect on as many head as possible. We as cattlemen cut so many corners to save a penny here and a penny there that it almost becomes second nature for us to try to cut even the pennys that make us dollars.
Good post. The reason I ask about the others catching up is because we keep ours so long. 10# a day and hay is allot of feed but I'm sure it pays off. We feed ours 6.5# @$1 a day and very little if any hay. We just try and let them grow frame through the winter and be ready for the spring green up.

I agree on cutting corners to save money. It definitely becomes second nature. Everyone these days has a calculator in their pocket but few use it.

If I was keeping calves longer than 60 days after weaning I would absolutely slow grow them like you do. My goal currently is to pack as many pounds on as I can in 60 days and sell to make room for the next group. I keep calves on feed for about 9-10 months of the year. And at a separate location I keep replacement heifers that get less feed, about 5#/day.
May not be the best operation for everybody but it works great for me, and it gives me a lot of opportunity to try things like FerAppease that not only make my job easier, but makes me more money at the same time.
It's hard for me to remember a non antibiotic product hitting the market with as much potential to positively affect the industry as FerAppease. And i can't see a down side.