Ferappease

Help Support CattleToday:

When we ship calves to OKC every year it's about a 2 hr trip. A friend of mine has scales and he said he figures a 50# shrink per hd if shipped Saturday morning and sold Monday. I'm wondering if this will help and maybe cut the shrink in half. Between penning, shipping, sorting, standing in the sun, and running to the ring it has to be a stressful 3 days on yearlings.

Last edited:
It isn't a drug. It is totally legal to use on show cattle. It is not addictive. It just seems to be like a "zen" moment for them. Just "calms" them down.
My show heifer was an absolute sweetheart, but anything would scare her into a "jump and bolt" action at the drop of a pin - gone! I had to walk her about half mile from trailer to barn in KY every morning and night. You know, people popping out of trailer doors, trucks passing you, other cattle acting up, etc. She was a perfect little angel the whole time. Never pulled against the lead. Got "perky" a few times, but immediately settled down. This is my experience.
It was designed to save $$ from stress shrink on shipped feedlot calves. They are finding LOTS more use for it.
The way you describe that heifer and the walking by obstacles their at the Louisville fairgrounds reminds me of a situation some Charolais friends told me about many years ago. They had big bull 2000+, that they were showing, I can attest that he was calm but very noisy as far as bellering. Apparently, they were leading him to or from somewhere inside the building and sone of the grounds workers dropped off a dumpster right by him. The crashing sound caused him to bolt. One of the guys was just coming into the building and heard the commotion. He said he knew it was their bull by the noise. They were able to catch up to him and get a hold of him as soon as he stopped.

When we ship calves to OKC every year it's about a 2 hr trip. A friend of mine has scales and he said he figures a 50# shrink per hd if shipped Saturday morning and sold Sunday. I'm wondering if this will help and maybe cut the shrink in half. Between penning, shipping, sorting, standing in the sun, and running to the ring it has to be a stressful 3 days on yearlings.
I'm sure you meant that they sell on Monday. Are your friends calves long weaned or fresh off the mama? My trip time to OKC is twice that but I ship very early on Sunday morning for Mondays sale. My long weaned calves will average 3% shrink. I have had a few loads with zero shrink and a few with 5%. The calves need to know how to eat and drink from a trough to get the lower shrink. There is not really that much shrink at OKC compared to sale barns because they are not commingled and each pen has feed and fresh water. They sort mine on Sunday not long after they arrive and feed them shortly thereafter. I think shipping on Sunday morning is best as I don't think they get fed properly on Saturday. It also helps if they sale early on Monday.

I'm sure Ferappease would help if they are bawlers.

I'm sure you meant that they sell on Monday. Are your friends calves long weaned or fresh off the mama? My trip time to OKC is twice that but I ship very early on Sunday morning for Mondays sale. My long weaned calves will average 3% shrink. I have had a few loads with zero shrink and a few with 5%. The calves need to know how to eat and drink from a trough to get the lower shrink. There is not really that much shrink at OKC compared to sale barns because they are not commingled and each pen has feed and fresh water. They sort mine on Sunday not long after they arrive and feed them shortly thereafter. I think shipping on Sunday morning is best as I don't think they get fed properly on Saturday. It also helps if they sale early on Monday.

I'm sure Ferappease would help if they are bawlers.
Yes I meant Monday. These calves are weaned in November and sold in July or August. They know how to eat and and drink. Last year when I sold my rep called and ask me to start shipping on Sunday morning. He said the calves lost too much standing in the sun on the bricks for 2 days. I got in a time bind and shipped on Saturday this year again though. I was also told not to move calves from their pasture until the day we ship. I don't have a truck load out so typically carry them to a friend's place on Wednesday before shipping. I've never weighed mine before I sent them so don't have any numbers of my own to go by.

5% shrink would be 40# on a 800# yearling so he probably wasn't too far off.

I also only have enough to ship by gooseneck. I gather mine two days before shipping and put them in small fenced area with similar conditions to what hey will have at OKC, Same type of water trough, same type of pelleted feed. They are weighed up the day before shipping. They transition to the OKC pens very easily and will have their head in the feed trough before I can get parked and up on the catwalk. The rep knows I am anal about shrink so does what he can to keep it at a minimum.
The difference in their shrink versus a sale barn is usually enough to pay for my time freight costs. The better pricing is the gravy.

I've used FerAppease twice. First time I wasn't impressed with it but realized its ineffectiveness was my fault. I applied it in the alley to 7-8 at a time. I went from the nose up towards the eyes as that was the easiest way. The calves showed no sign of it being effective. I weaned a small group two weeks ago that hadn't seen much human interaction. I caught each one individually and applied it correctly. It made a difference and I would use it again. My Vet thinks it's a waste of time and money!

So if you do nose flap weaning should you give it to them the day you put the nose flap on or 4 days later when you take the nose flap off and separate them ? Or do you give it to them both times ?
Good question. I would say when you put the nose flap on. It's supposed to last for quite a while.

Not sure how you turned a simple question into a pissing contest, but you did, and its the exact reason a lot of valuable members no longet visit or participate.
I apologize for it turnounto what it has. But when someone makes false assumptions about me then I felt the need too make sure the truth was known. If you have read any of my posts on this thread or others you will see I respect others views. I can agree to disagree if they are respectful. But when someone feels the need to single me out and try to discredit me I will stand my ground.
As I have stated I did much research on this product for several months. I got opinion ms and advice from those who have used it on several thousand head. Then BQA and others say to go by the dosage on the label. The label on the new bottle I got says a half dose for a calf. So that is what I plan to administer and those I have talked to do. If a person wants to give a full dose that is their decision. I respect that but expect them to respect me following the label and advice I have received. The way I look at it is a bottle said to give a child one pill and an adult 2 I will give a child one unless a doctor tells me different. The same with vaccines and livestock treatments. I follow the label unless my vet recommends a different dosage. I have moved on and done with the discussion. We are getting light rain that is supposed to turn to snow. Have cattle to check. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

So if you do nose flap weaning should you give it to them the day you put the nose flap on or 4 days later when you take the nose flap off and separate them ? Or do you give it to them both times ?
I never had more than a half day of calves bellering with nose flap weaning. Probably skip FerAppease in that case. But, if was going to use it in that scenario, at physical separation seems it would be most stressful point on the calf.

I apologize for it turnounto what it has. But when someone makes false assumptions about me then I felt the need too make sure the truth was known. If you have read any of my posts on this thread or others you will see I respect others views. I can agree to disagree if they are respectful. But when someone feels the need to single me out and try to discredit me I will stand my ground.
As I have stated I did much research on this product for several months. I got opinion ms and advice from those who have used it on several thousand head. Then BQA and others say to go by the dosage on the label. The label on the new bottle I got says a half dose for a calf. So that is what I plan to administer and those I have talked to do. If a person wants to give a full dose that is their decision. I respect that but expect them to respect me following the label and advice I have received. The way I look at it is a bottle said to give a child one pill and an adult 2 I will give a child one unless a doctor tells me different. The same with vaccines and livestock treatments. I follow the label unless my vet recommends a different dosage. I have moved on and done with the discussion. We are getting light rain that is supposed to turn to snow. Have cattle to check. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you caused the issue. I think most of us realize who did.

The Ferappease we ordered came in today. Dosage now says all cattle get 10cc. I'm still going to try the 5cc on these weaning size cattle. Everything I've read up until now says 5cc. Plus I only need it to work for 7 days not 14. We'll see.....

The Ferappease we ordered came in today. Dosage now says all cattle get 10cc. I'm still going to try the 5cc on these weaning size cattle. Everything I've read up until now says 5cc. Plus I only need it to work for 7 days not 14. We'll see.....
Same here. Planned to use it today. But by the time we got them penned and hauled we ran out of time. There are a few big calves I may give 7cc the rest will be 5cc. A chance of rain tomorrow. So may not get them worked till Criday. They all came to the troughs and ate tonight. Like you I don't need it too work 14 days. My bottle that came 2 weeks ago said 5cc on calves. We haven't had any major issues waiting 4 days to give 2nd round of shots so not concerned with not working them today.

😬