Fencing cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I need to install about 1,000 feet of barb wire with 6 strands. According to the cost I came up with including a double 8 gates is about $1.27 per foot. Does that sound about right?

Central Fl Cracker":38hlelh0 said:
I need to install about 1,000 feet of barb wire with 6 strands. According to the cost I came up with including a double 8 gates is about $1.27 per foot. Does that sound about right?
Absolutely can be done for that.

Sounds about right to me if you are talking just the material cost. Equipment and labor would add to the cost, especially if you have to survey, clear the fence line, clean up old fence, clear brush, etc. etc.

Shouldn't cost that much for materials. I just built 1,000 feet of 6 strand and materials cost was about .58 per foot with no gates.

Simple matter to calculate "Materials" costs for any fence: Corner Posts & Brace Materials + LF of Barbed Wire + In Line Posts = Materials Costs. Labor is another matter. If you are hiring it done a rough estimate is Materials Cost X 2. If you have to clear out a path for fence, the cost goes up significantly.

As you know, a roll of barbed wire is 1320 feet. Posts: Just count how many you need.

Generally cheaper (or as cheap) to install in-line T-Posts every 10 feet as it is to put posts longer distance apart and have to buy the fence stays plus posts.

gabby":dd68tjfe said:
Shouldn't cost that much for materials. I just built 1,000 feet of 6 strand and materials cost was about .58 per foot with no gates.

The cost per foot for each strand of wire is .03 per ft and T post are about $4.00 each in large qty

my cost on the last qtr mile run of fence was:

6 rolls of wire @ $40.00 per roll
130 ea 6 1/2' T post @ $3.85 each I purchased a whole bundle of 200 to get that price.

8 ea 8" PT corner post @ $16.00 each
4 ea 4" cross brace post @ $8.00 each

total of $900.50 this comes out to .70 per foot in material.

Now this is based on a straight run with T post on 10' centers and double 8" post with brace at corners and 2 sets along the run.

My labor is free, because my wife loves it when I am out of her hair :lol: :lol:

C HOLLAND":15pm81vw said:
gabby":15pm81vw said:

The cost per foot for each strand of wire is .03 per ft and T post are about $4.00 each in large qty

my cost on the last qtr mile run of fence was:

6 rolls of wire @ $40.00 per roll
130 ea 6 1/2' T post @ $3.85 each I purchased a whole bundle of 200 to get that price.

8 ea 8" PT corner post @ $16.00 each
4 ea 4" cross brace post @ $8.00 each

total of $900.50 this comes out to .70 per foot in material.

Now this is based on a straight run with T post on 10' centers and double 8" post with brace at corners and 2 sets along the run.

My labor is free, because my wife loves it when I am out of her hair :lol: :lol:
im fixing to start running new fence and would run 6 strands barbwire and was wandering the distance between t-post and bracing post so you basically run t-post every 10ft and 8in crossbracing about 500ft

RWS,,,,,on the run I was talking about, the 8" cross brace post are about 430 ft apart and that is if the ground is basically flat and a straight run. You may need some single wood post along the run to help with the change in elevation, a dip in the land will need a wood post to keep the wire from pulling the T post out of the ground at that point.

I was just giving an example of cost for a basic straight run of 1300 ft, no 2 fence lines are the same and the cost will vary. This example is what I would consider a perimeter fence. I dont use this many strands for cross fence. My norm is 4 strands of B wire or 2 hot strands and a bottom ground wire using B wire.

what I use and what I feel works for me may not be what you like.

I hope this helps

Running Arrow Bill":3fj5985x said:
Generally cheaper (or as cheap) to install in-line T-Posts every 10 feet as it is to put posts longer distance apart and have to buy the fence stays plus posts.

The standard barbed wire fence in this country is 4 strands with posts about every 15 feet. Farther west you often see 3 strands of barbed wire and post are up to 20 feet apart.

What benifit to you get from a 10 foot spacing between posts?

C Holland wrote:
6 rolls of wire @ $40.00 per roll 130 ea 6 1/2' T post @ $3.85 each I purchased a whole bundle of 200 to get that price.

If you don't mind me asking, what guage of wire is this?

Dick

Stocker Steve":1sovbgs4 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1sovbgs4 said:

The standard barbed wire fence in this country is 4 strands with posts about every 15 feet. Farther west you often see 3 strands of barbed wire and post are up to 20 feet apart.

I would think a little better sleeping at night, knowing the cows were not crossing a road and you were not being hauled into court when someone hits one of your cows. The choice we all have to make for our situation.

C HOLLAND":1x7bka9v said:
Stocker Steve":1x7bka9v said:
Running Arrow Bill":1x7bka9v said:

I would think a little better sleeping at night, knowing the cows were not crossing a road and you were not being hauled into court when someone hits one of your cows. The choice we all have to make for our situation.
thanks c hollond for the earlier advice im like you on the 6 strands though ive seen my calves walk right thru where i have 4 strands and thats with the post every 8ft

Latest posts