Fencing Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I just received a quote for $2.75 per foot for #10 field fencing topped with a stand of barb wire. He is going to use steel posts with a woooden post every 10th post. Does this sound like it is in the ball park?

He also quoted $1.75 per foot for 5 strands of barb wire.

jhambley":3fzgi4j2 said:
I just received a quote for $2.75 per foot for #10 field fencing topped with a stand of barb wire. He is going to use steel posts with a woooden post every 10th post. Does this sound like it is in the ball park?

He also quoted $1.75 per foot for 5 strands of barb wire.

Assuming corner braces are set deep enough and solid and all wire is tight...price sounds reasonable.

If this is a permanent fence, you might want to check into frost heave and steel posts as it has been known to be a problem on occasion - I don't know how often those occasions happen because, with very few exceptions, we always used wood posts for permanent fencing.

When you say "steel posts with a wood post every 10th post", are you talking about a T-post and then a 4-6 inch wood post?

Materials only :

200' 5' non climb fencing runs $206 here...so $1 a ft....

8' t-post are almost 6 bucks ....

6" wood post is about 9 bucks.....

barb wire is about $45 a roll......

so for 100 ft you have approx. $154 in material costs. So the guy is doing it for about 1.25-1.35 a ft in labor, sounds pretty fair to me. Check material prices in your area and get one more bid. That will tell you for sure if this is a fair bid or not.

yes...t-posts and wooden posts for the corner posts/braces.

Several people in the county have told me he is the best around and he's been building fences for over 30 years. The county extention agent also gave him a great reference.

I have attempted to get bids from others but I can't even get them to reliably return my phone calls. Don't think I want them building fence for me.

Thank you for your input.

We had a fence recently done. Field fence with one strand of barbed wire, single pipes everyso often and set of three pipe stretch posts every 330'. we bought all material and paid $1.00 ft. for labor.

Just finished up fencing a 25 acre lot on this place. I've got 2 fellers, we'll call them Mutt and Jeff, they fence 5 strands of BW for .50 cents a ft. and we supply dinner and water, or sweet tea, and all materials/specifications.

Latest posts