fencer question

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have 2 fencers and a voltage / amp tester. One of my fencers will read 3500 volts close to the farmyard but out another half mile it will read 6000 volts. Also close to the farmyard it will show 15 amps of short but as I check there are no big shorts. 1 amp down that strip or 2 amps down another strip until close to the end it will show no amps of short. What's the deal here? Thanks.

What kinda charger puts out 15 amps? Please describe your setup and what you're trying to do.

shaz":19w0d0fw said:
What kinda charger puts out 15 amps? Please describe your setup and what you're trying to do.
What's he's talking about is the reading for shorts/grounds on the wire. The testers have 2 readings, one for k volts, that's the charge and other is in amps that shows the amount of ground/short value on the charged wire. The higher the amp number the more likely there is a bad short or dead short somewhere on the charged line.

farmguy":1mllh82g said:
I have 2 fencers and a voltage / amp tester. One of my fencers will read 3500 volts close to the farmyard but out another half mile it will read 6000 volts. Also close to the farmyard it will show 15 amps of short but as I check there are no big shorts. 1 amp down that strip or 2 amps down another strip until close to the end it will show no amps of short. What's the deal here? Thanks.
I've tried to chase down those elusive ground issues and have rarely found them. Unless it's underground you'll here a snapping sound when you get close to the short. I have never figured out the deal with the voltage being higher at the far end than it is closer to the charger. As long as I have a minimum of 4.5k volts I don;t care.

Farmguy it's how much it's pushing to the fault. Mine will show 20amps up to the fault then maybe 5amps past fault. Grass, limbs or really any touching will pull amps. That's why when u get closer to the end the amps go down to 0.

I'm not an expert but that how my fault finder works. Someone else maybe can give you more of an educated answer. :D

RiverHills":1lxywlxu said:
Farmguy it's how much it's pushing to the fault. Mine will show 20amps up to the fault then maybe 5amps past fault. Grass, limbs or really any touching will pull amps. That's why when u get closer to the end the amps go down to 0.

I'm not an expert but that how my fault finder works. Someone else maybe can give you more of an educated answer. :D
Never thoguht of it that way, thanks

I borrowed one of those fault finder deals from my neighbor last year and still ended up walking the whole fence to find the problem...

in fact it walked me farther because it kept sending me back and forth on a stretch where there were no problems.

did not save me any time and I decided to save myself a hundred bucks....and just keep walking.

My fault finder saves me alot of time and miles but you have to understand how it works. You also have to know your charger and what is a true fault or just grass or small debre. You will make your self go crazy trying to get the amps down to zero by the charger. At the one farm im happy with 10amps by the charger. Once again not an educated guess but an experienced guess.