Fence ?

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
The rule here is that when you stand on your property, the right half of the fence is your responsibility, the other half belongs to you neighbor and is his responsibility.

How many places use this method and if not what do you use?

Larry

larryshoat":1u8or1zy said:
The rule here is that when you stand on your property, the right half of the fence is your responsibility, the other half belongs to you neighbor and is his responsibility.

Larry
That's the way it is in MO, IF both have animals. Sadly if you're along a road the state/county doesn;t keep up their end of the bargain and it's all yours.

larryshoat":2ottiqp3 said:

Larry
????
Want to run that by again :?:

My method it to take care of all fencing because my lazy neighbor won't do didly squat and I don't want his mangy cows any where near mine. :cowboy:

Ryder":1iw8lzan said:
larryshoat":1iw8lzan said:

Larry
????
Want to run that by again :?:
When looking at the fence you spit it down the middle, the right half of the fence is yours to take care of. The other side is there's to care for. :? Don't know if I did a very good job clarifying.

larryshoat":7iq4idrq said:

Larry

That is how our neighbor does it here, sadly I am always fixing his part as well . I guess a good fence is only as good as the neighbor who maintains it. The one to the north of us, we both just go out and fix it where needed every spring. We both run hot wire on that one so our cattle do not go near it but erosion and wildlife do damage each year.

around if the fence is repaired or replaced both us an the neighbors/kinfolk fix it.weve been doing some fence overhauling this fall.so that the fences last alot longer.

dun":1ciy2w0h said:
larryshoat":1ciy2w0h said:

Larry
That's the way it is in MO, IF both have animals. Sadly if you're along a road the state/county doesn;t keep up their end of the bargain and it's all yours.

Same here the fence by the road is all yours they won't hardly mow by the road, no money you know, they haven't fired anybody, they have the same amount of equipment, but they can't get it done because there's "no money".

Larry

Larry, If I'm not mistaken Ohio law changed a couple of years ago. It was the way you stated but I think it was changed that if your neighbor didn't have livestock they didn't have to pay their share but if they got livestock later you could go back on them for their share.I'll do a search on Ohio Revised Code and see if my memory is gone yet.

harry":12b5s1yu said:
Larry, If I'm not mistaken Ohio law changed a couple of years ago. It was the way you stated but I think it was changed that if your neighbor didn't have livestock they didn't have to pay their share but if they got livestock later you could go back on them for their share.I'll do a search on Ohio Revised Code and see if my memory is gone yet.
Only makes sense that if your neighbor doesn't need the fence that they don't have to help maintain it.

After a quick review of Ohio Revised Code chapter 971 Fences it would appear most of Ohios fence laws were revised in 2008. there is a part 971.07 that says basically what I said if there was not a fence there previously one owner would put up the fence and could be reimbursed for the next 30 years. On an existing fence it would appear its a 50/50 deal. Might take a Philadelphia Lawyer to figure this law out. Throws a lot of the questions to the Township Trustees to act as judge/middleman.

harry":1h332fc2 said:
After a quick review of Ohio Revised Code chapter 971 Fences it would appear most of Ohios fence laws were revised in 2008. there is a part 971.07 that says basically what I said if there was not a fence there previously one owner would put up the fence and could be reimbursed for the next 30 years. On an existing fence it would appear its a 50/50 deal. Might take a Philadelphia Lawyer to figure this law out. Throws a lot of the questions to the Township Trustees to act as judge/middleman.

I'm sure you're right. That's why if I have a neighbor that won't do right, I just take care of it myself, cheaper,quicker and easier than the legal route. For the most part I have very good neighbors and they take care of their share of the fence. I have a couple of situations where years ago, by people not known to me, they switched ends for whatever reason, I honor that agreement, to me half is half I really don't care which half.

Larry

Fences are mutual when there are cattle on both sides and yours if there are cattle on only one side. We check fence once a year and it's expected that both neighbors will check the same stretch of fence so sometimes we'll space it out so that it gets checked every six months. When we build new fence the cost is split even. If fence gets destroyed and cattle mixed up, we work together to get them sorted and fence "patched" as best as possible and then leave it alone until we gather and fencing season rolls back around.
Every once in a while we get someone who doesn't want to do their part... They're the same guys who grumble about how the dogs chewed their cattle up when we put their cattle back for them, or complain when their cattle get dry lotted overnight after we ran them into the corral and left them there for him to pick up, or groan about having to pick their cattle up from the salesyard because "I didn't know whose cattle they were but I knew they weren't mine so I ran them in for the brand inspector to figure out"... Eventually fence becomes mutual property again :nod: .

Larry- this is a great question. I need to replace a lot of fence here in PA because trees and brush have grown up in the fence rows and trees keep falling on the fence from off of the neighbors side. They do not have cattle/livestock but the woman of the house is a real piece of work. I started clearing some of the fallen trees with my tractor and chain saw and she accused me of stealing "timber" from her side. I tried to explain that the trees had been windblown and were ruining the fence but she insisted that I do not clear any more. You can see that the trees were blown over but she did not care. She was dead set that this was her wood. Needless to say this was not prime timber, mostly dead locust and cherry. Thought about pushing everything back on to her side but I'm certain that she is the type that would try to take legal action. I don't know the law here and really do not know where to find it (if there is such a beast). I would like to have someone come in with a dozer and clear it all out but fear legal action from my crusty neighbor. And I refuse to move the fenceline in further on my farm because she will claim that land too.

In Georgia, if you put up a line fence then it becomes part of the neighbor's property too and you have to get permission from him to take it down. Repairs and maintenance are supposed to be shared equally but you know how that goes. I'm not going to spend my money to put up a fence only to give it to my neighbor if he doesn't share in the expense or the construction so I always set it back six inches. I don't mind if he uses it but I'm not asking permission to take it down if for some reason I decide to.

expensive hobby":3q7gspde said:
I started clearing some of the fallen trees with my tractor and chain saw and she accused me of stealing "timber" from her side. I tried to explain that the trees had been windblown and were ruining the fence but she insisted that I do not clear any more. You can see that the trees were blown over but she did not care. She was dead set that this was her wood.
Next time a tree goes down call her and politely tell her to come get "her" wood. Record when the tree fell and find out what it takes for "property" to become abandoned property in your state. If she doesn't come get it in the specified amount of time, then you can clear it... Make sure you send her a bill for the damages done from "her" property to "your" fence. :D Most likely she won't pay it but she'll get the message. ;-)

larryshoat":18xmgm5t said:

Larry

Indiana is the same, Larry. I think (guess) that is the rule in most of the "Louisiana Purchase" territory, aka the "corn belt". But, around here, good luck getting your neighbor to fence if he doesn't have cattle. The process to get the neighbor to pay is so far down the justice systems priority list it isn't worth the attorney fees. If I own cattle, I build 100% of the fence.

expensive hobby, Ohio law states: Ohio Revised Code 971.08 Entry onto adjoining property to maintain fence.

(A) If an owner chooses to build a partition fence and the owner of adjoining property does not share in the construction of the fence, the owner building the fence, or a contractor hired by the owner, may enter on the adjoining property for no more than ten feet for the length of the fence to build and maintain in good repair the fence. The owner or contractor building the fence is not guilty of a violation of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code or an ordinance of a municipal corporation that is substantially equivalent, provided that the owner or contractor does not enter onto the property beyond the ten feet specified in this division. However, that owner or contractor is liable for all damages caused by the entry onto the adjoining property, including damages to crops.

(B) No person shall obstruct or interfere with anyone who is lawfully engaged in the construction or maintenance of a partition fence.

Effective Date: 2008 HB323 09-30-2008

I wrote to the extension office to see if they can explain the PA law regarding fences. Fencing is not really a problem when your neighbor runs livestock. Seems the problem begins when you have a neighbor that does not understand that the fence is very important. The neighbor I was talking about would be the first to run her mouth if my cows ever ran into her fields, or yard.

Latest posts