Fence Spacing

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I'm looking to do my place in smooth, electrified wire b/c it's cheaper and faster to put up. I've seen some info that you can do 50ft spacing, but that seems quite much to me. Anyone have any suggestions? Callmefence, I'm looking at you, and anyone else that has worked with this stuff.

High tensile wire. Good charge. Good ground. Calm cows. You might be okay. If you have 7 neighbors adjoining you with bulls in their pastures, all bets are off. If you have no neighbors with cows, you might be fine.

I don't do much electric. But some. I would think that's a bit far.
I just fenced a piece at home. Keep in mind this is temporary, interior, . I put a tpost every hundred and used the step in.post every 25. I really like those step in post for temp stuff. No insulators to fumble with.

I don't like electric for permanent fence. But some do. I would highly recommend you put plenty of post. It at least makes the fence more visible, reducing wildlife damage. Maybe a tpost every 25 and a step in between.

30 foot easy with no problems. When you read manufacturer recommendations, it's one of the big advantages financially of HT fence. Keep it hot and you won't have a problem. They get stung once or twice and they steer very clear of fence.

ETA: last summer we had 2 sets of bulls and cows separated by 2 strands of HTELEC fence. The bulls stood and destroyed ground on either side of fence but neither one came close to trying to go through it. Convinced me. Looked like mortars loaded on both sides of fence, but no one crossed.

Thanks for the replies. I like 15-25 foot spacing just b/c it is more visible. My charger is a 30 mile charger. I went over the top on it, but they don't get near the fence anymore. Would you guys recommend 4 strands of it with the 2 and 4 being (from the bottom up) being electrified? Also, there's one section that will be on a hill, so should the spacing be smaller for that? It's a decent incline, if that matters.

Bestoutwest":av2iv0o9 said:
Thanks for the replies. I like 15-25 foot spacing just b/c it is more visible. My charger is a 30 mile charger. I went over the top on it, but they don't get near the fence anymore. Would you guys recommend 4 strands of it with the 2 and 4 being (from the bottom up) being electrified? Also, there's one section that will be on a hill, so should the spacing be smaller for that? It's a decent incline, if that matters.

Adjust your post spacing to accommodate rises and falls in terrain. Keep you posts perpendicular to the terrain (not plumb). This will put less stress on posts/insulators and make tightening wire easier.

bball":d5spwp8x said:
Bestoutwest":d5spwp8x said:

Adjust your post spacing to accommodate rises and falls in terrain. Keep you posts perpendicular to the terrain (not plumb). This will put less stress on posts/insulators and make tightening wire easier.
Best answer! We have places that the posts are 50-75 foot apart and others where they are 15 foot apart. Depends on the terrain. What I do is stretch it from end to end and tighten it. Then I find the sags where it is below 28 inches form the ground. I put in a post and bring it back to 30 inches high. Then I find the next sag and repeat. It will need retightening every 4-5 posts that you put in.

dun":3k2v08ol said:
bball":3k2v08ol said:
Bestoutwest":3k2v08ol said:

Best answer! We have places that the posts are 50-75 foot apart and others where they are 15 foot apart. Depends on the terrain. What I do is stretch it from end to end and tighten it. Then I find the sags where it is below 28 inches form the ground. I put in a post and bring it back to 30 inches high. Then I find the next sag and repeat. It will need retightening every 4-5 posts that you put in.
Loving this.. Good advice...

What is your favorite post? Wood?

Straight flat runs on level ground... electrified HT wire... I do posts at 100 ft spacings. Interior & exterior fences.

Up in the woods and on rolling hill ground, I have to put 'em closer.

I hate electric fence, like granddaddy hated communist. If I run it, I put the post as far apart as possible. Run it tight to begin with, and have way to keep it tight. My bull pen, is over kill, but one strand is plenty.

HDRider":5z7ukfrt said:
Heavy weight T-Posts with high quality snap on (type not manufacturer) insulators except corners or ends.

Bestoutwest":3ev92j2m said:
my charger is a 50 :cowboy: and im sure my pasture is smaller then yours

Fwiw Our fence is a four strand with the 2 and 3 wires hot we got 30ft spacing mostly

callmefence":2zj3qhhv said:
dun":2zj3qhhv said:
HDRider":2zj3qhhv said:
Heavy weight T-Posts with high quality snap on (type not manufacturer) insulators except corners or ends.

Fine and dandy but fyi check fit before you buy. Most plastic snap on insulators will not work on post weights over1.44
Correct. I use the insulators from Gallagher and haven;t had an issue. Had some in a bag from the previous owner that wouldn;t fit anything but the lightest weight (to dam fragile) posts.

dun":1d25aj58 said:
HDRider":1d25aj58 said:

I also prefer T-posts. However, I put a 6" wood post every 150' or so, or 4" wood posts when I get on a sandy knob.
I prefer the black DARE t post insulators. They seem to hold up better than others. I can get them on the heavy weight tpost, but you have to really work at it and it's a snug fit. (Only heavywts I have are older ones from years ago) the newer stuff isn't as stout, but still costs over 3$ for a 6 footer. Price just climbs rapidly from there for longer posts.

bball":3jxjay1n said:
dun":3jxjay1n said:
HDRider":3jxjay1n said:

I also prefer T-posts. However, I put a 6" wood post every 150' or so, or 4" wood posts when I get on a sandy knob.
I prefer the black DARE t post insulators. They seem to hold up better than others. I can get them on the heavy weight tpost, but you have to really work at it and it's a snug fit. (Only heavywts I have are older ones from years ago) the newer stuff isn't as stout, but still costs over 3$ for a 6 footer. Price just climbs rapidly from there for longer posts.
I've been pleased with the Gallaghers. Some have been up for 15 years with no problems. For our hotwire (single strand) I use the 4 foot posts.

I like the screw on T-post insulators best myself, especially where's there's dips or rises. I space the T-post every 60' but that depends on terrain. The closer you space the post the more stress wildlife will put on the insulators.

I use HT barbed wire rather than smooth electric, but I've learned that trying to save on posts usually ends up costing me either time, money, or both later down the road. I used to space them 6 steps apart, 4 strands. Then went to 5 steps and 5 strands. Now I'm at 4 steps and 6 strands. The little extra I spend is worth the time I don't have to spend getting cattle back in. Calves have been my worst offenders. If I never have to get another calf in, by myself with the rest standing at the gate, it'll be too soon. But again, the terrain here is very rough and variable.
I do something a little different when there's a dip. Rather than a T post, I'll drill a hole and set a 9'-10' locust post with a couple bags of concrete. In the spring, the soil gets saturated and T posts will lift right up out of the ground with the slightest pressure. So far I haven't had one of these lift out.