Fence Posts Lengths?

Help Support CattleToday:

tcalton

Reaction score
My question is simple. I have loads of good, straight, used galvanized 6" I-beam posts. I know feedlot owners often weld these posts together for their feedlot fences. Can I get some suggestions on the range(s) of what lengths of posts are useable for feedlot owners... or even for wind-breaks?

Edited by Moderator

Can't answer your question directly (if you even wanted a real "answer" :lol: ) --- forgive me for sounding cynical, but I must applaud your ingenuity in getting that advertising onto the board. Why not take your ad to the free Classifieds section here at CattleToday where Macon, and a lot of others, think such ads belong.

Arnold Ziffle":2kbrtno4 said:
Can't answer your question directly (if you even wanted a real "answer" :lol: ) --- forgive me for sounding cynical, but I must applaud your ingenuity in getting that advertising onto the board. Why not take your ad to the free Classifieds section here at CattleToday where Macon, and a lot of others, think such ads belong.
Gotta give it to ya Arnold Ziffle, I didn't at first read it that way but after a second look it appears to me that maybe your right?

Hey tcalton was that your real intention? :eek:

Arnold Ziffle":1y0skjnz said:

I thought I was the only one cynical enought to figure that was what was going on.

dun

dun":14b1g1ft said:
Arnold Ziffle":14b1g1ft said:

I thought I was the only one cynical enought to figure that was what was going on.

dun
hey Dun whats with the changing images?

That was my first thought also, guess some people just have to find a way to try and get around the rules.

J":ba66akuv said:

Jeanne didn;t like the spider so I figured I'ld throw in a moth. Maybe back to the big nosed cow tomorrow

dun

dun":kxow078d said:
J":kxow078d said:

Jeanne didn;t like the spider so I figured I'ld throw in a moth. Maybe back to the big nosed cow tomorrow

dun

guess maybe I need to find me one
Picture that is. ;-)

Thanks for asking... Yeah, my intent was to get an answer on the question. Yet, I see how I can clean it up for future reference.

I've talked to a few ranchers, and I was hoping I'd get a general repsonse from a larger audience. I hear some say 10' is the length they need, some say 12'... it depends upon the application, but I haven't found a website or article yet that talks about the most usable lengths of the posts and such. The 8' posts still might be too short for the majority of the livestock handling population. What about 11.5' posts... I think that would be one of the most do-able re-fits for many of these posts... is that a good common (or usable) length for several ranch/feedlot applications? What's the most common? What's the most widely usable length?

If you truly want an answer to go along with your ad heres mine. When I cut wooden post they are cut at 8'. I wouldn't think they would need to be any longer than 9', but then again I haven't used any metal posts. On a side note maybe if you edited out your business info from the post maybe people would see it as you were looking for an answer instead of trying to sell a product on the boards which is a big no no.

Wow, I had been thinking about my error here, and just hopped on to see if I could edit that first post. I found you had suggested editing it too, and then I find it was edited already... sufficient evidence that doing so was the obviously the right thing to do! Thank you for both the information on the posts and the correction, it is well taken.

IMO using 6" I-Beam posts (considering the high cost of steel these days) for fencing anything than Buffalo or high bred wild bucking bulls is a waste of good steel. 2-3/8" or 2-7/8" used well pipe is more than adequate for corner posts and gate posts with proper bracing "stingers." And, probably 1/4 the cost (or less) than steel I-Beams. I-Beams make good trailer frames, etc. ;-)

As far as post lengths are concerned, one's soil type will dictate how deep you set posts. E.g., our very deep sandy soil requires a post to be set 2.5 to 3' deep. We used 8' T-Posts to create a 5.5' high fence.

Latest posts