Fence Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on what everyone uses to kill anything and everything. Recently used Eraser but am not very happy with results. Getting new growth way to soon in my opinion.

JeremyPhillips75 said:
Looking for suggestions on what everyone uses to kill anything and everything. Recently used Eraser but am not very happy with results. Getting new growth way to soon in my opinion.

RoundUp works but why kill the good grass? I use Crossbow to kill the undesirable growth but not the grass.

:welcome: To CT by the way.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
JeremyPhillips75 said:

RoundUp works but why kill the good grass? I use Crossbow to kill the undesirable growth but not the grass.

:welcome: To CT by the way.

Eraser is generic Roundup. Roundup has no residual. It kills what it touches and that's it. I use Garlon 4 for the harder to kill areas.

It depends on what is it you are trying to kill.

Problem we have on killing anything and everything is that something is going to take the place of what was growing there and may be less desirable than what you had before. Roundup 365 or something similar that has the post herbicide and a pre-emergent herbicide to keep seed from sprouting works for us in some areas.

I used Ranger which is Glyphosate with surfectant and works on what it touches as others have stated. If you have an emerging plant that hasn't emerged to get some, it will be right back up. The problem I have on Houston Black Clay, rock hard and cracked in the summer, is that the places where I use a herbicide are the places that look nice, but the T posts sink due to increased crack size vs non sprayed (live grass-weed area). So I quit the process.

sstterry said:
Grazon mixed with Remedy will do a good job. Just like the Garlon 4, it will get the weeds and the woody stuff.

A good mix for fence lines. Pasture guard is a little better than remedy, but either works since you get residual through the grazon.
Also grazon p+d is far superior if you're dealing with cedar or pear.
Garlon is generic remedy.
A quart of grazon p+d and a pint of pasture guard in a 25 gallon spot sprayer will keep fence lines clear of brush, vines and weeds.
You don't want to kill the grass for reasons mark gave

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
Grazon mixed with Remedy will do a good job. Just like the Garlon 4, it will get the weeds and the woody stuff.

A good mix for fence lines. Pasture guard is a little better than remedy, but either works since you get residual through the grazon.
A quart of grazon p+d and a pint of pasture guard in a 25 gallon spot sprayer will keep fence lines clear of brush, vines and weeds.

Why is Pasture Guard better than the Garlon 4?

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:

Pasture guards active ingredient are triclopyr (remedy or garlon) plus flouroxypyr which gives a broader kill and a few weeks of residual. A very good product IMO.
Fwiw crossbow is simply a light dose of 24d ester with a little bity bit of triclopyr..... great for those with more money than sense..... ;-)

What kind of fence? Barbed wire I would use grazon or grazon and remedy and let the cows keep it short, net wire I would spray round up. May be unnecessary but i wouldn't want them jacking up the net trying to push for an extra bite. My experience with net wire is limited so that's kind of an assumption not something I've dealt with

[/quote]

Pasture guards active ingredient are triclopyr (remedy or garlon) plus flouroxypyr which gives a broader kill and a few weeks of residual. A very good product IMO.
Fwiw crossbow is simply a light dose of 24d ester with a little bity bit of triclopyr..... great for those with more money than sense..... ;-)
[/quote]

:help: I've got a question about Crossbow, I was told you can make stronger Crossbow by mixing 5 parts 24D LV and 3 parts Remedy. Told me it was cheaper & stronger.
Any chemist out there?? :?:

Anyone have any suggestions for something that won't harm trees but will keep the brush back.

I have a lot of woven wire running at the edge of woods. I would like to keep the brush back without killing mature trees.

One of the workers at our local CO-OP recommended adding ammonium sulfate to generic glyphosate to combat pre-emergence in our gravel lots. It does seem to last a 6-8 weeks longer.
Like others have said, some weird, undesirable stuff comes back after eradicating the good grasses.

Latest posts