Fence charger trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE

Reaction score
My parmak fence charger stopped working . It's getting power . When you unplug it and plug it back in the output numbers light up 0.0 then just the point stays on . And it doesn't click . I checked the wire connection and ground . Any other ideas ?

My first (of three) new red plastic housing Parmark 12V battery operated fencer just quit after a rain. Had the same issue with the older metal housing units. Seem to last about two years. New ones are $99, so repair cost is close to new price.

Sounds like folks have much better reliability with the solar units. I think the solar panel acts as a shed roof?

Stocker Steve":4umb6ho8 said:
My first (of three) new red plastic housing Parmark 12V battery operated fencer just quit after a rain. Had the same issue with the older metal housing units. Seem to last about two years. New ones are $99, so repair cost is close to new price.

Sounds like folks have much better reliability with the solar units. I think the solar panel acts as a shed roof?

I have four Parmak solar units one is pushing 20 years the others over ten .
I have to change the battery out every three to four years.

Caustic Burno":2di00e5c said:
Stocker Steve":2di00e5c said:

Same here, I've had good luck with the 6v ones. One finally gave up the ghost this spring, and quit charging batteries - it was about 15 years old.

Anyone have the 12v Parmak's? Wondering how they compare to the 6v's?

cfpinz":9isq8sob said:
es - it was about 15 years old.

I have a couple of Mag 12 Parmaks. I use them for places that don;t have access to the main backbone. Now we are using one to power all the way around the WSG field with polywire. Just for kicks I checked it last night, it's running right t 8.6 k volts. The last wind storm uprooted a couple of large trees in the small field behind the hay barn. The landed on the old 17 gauge hotwire so we ran polywire to keep the cows/calves/bull out of the woods. Last night the Parmak on that one was reading 11.1 k using the barbed wire across between that field and the one by the parlor as ground. We use marine 12 volt batterys on all of the temps.

pdfangus":20cqc38r said:
why not figure out how to put a cheap rubber tub over it somehow to keep the rain off of the charger....

Aaron does. I tried tying 5 quart ice cream buckets over them, but the UV ate them up.

Bought a 12V bat powered Parmark today. Did not like the price, but 6V would not handle some of our set ups.

Stocker Steve":25sy6xls said:
pdfangus":25sy6xls said:
why not figure out how to put a cheap rubber tub over it somehow to keep the rain off of the charger....

Aaron does. I tried tying 5 quart ice cream buckets over them, but the UV ate them up.

Bought a 12V bat powered Parmark today. Did not like the price, but 6V would not handle some of our set ups.
I got one in a 5 gallon bucket with lid from work, hung it on a fence and cut a hole in the bottom for the wires. Another charger I put under a 30 gallon trash with big rock on top of it. The charger is zip tied to a milk crate to keep it off the ground. It's been through massive rain and been just fine.

I had a new Parmak AC 50 mile that I plugged into an old 3 prong outlet at the barn I guess my Grandfather wired for a dryer 30 years ago. Blew out the circuit board in 1 second. Parmak fixed it for free. Didn't ask what happened. Good customer service. I re wired that outlet for 110V.

Something I find strange about the Parmak Mag 12 chargers. If it is connected to a battery and is turned on, no matter how much rain we get it will keep working. If it is just left out in the rain and not connected and running they will frequently quit working after a week or so in the rain.

dun":3s9e0qo5 said:
Something I find strange about the Parmak Mag 12 chargers. If it is connected to a battery and is turned on, no matter how much rain we get it will keep working. If it is just left out in the rain and not connected and running they will frequently quit working after a week or so in the rain.

I have a Mag 12 as well and it is like the energizer bunny

cfpinz":12zz22uo said:
Caustic Burno":12zz22uo said:
Stocker Steve":12zz22uo said:

Same here, I've had good luck with the 6v ones. One finally gave up the ghost this spring, and quit charging batteries - it was about 15 years old.

The 12 volt will keep cattle in when it's dry and the 6 volt won't.

Latest posts