Feedlots. How do they work?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Can you explain how these feedlots work? Can you point me to some resources that might explain it to me?
What is the advantage to a small producer? Thanks in advance.

In what respect? Retaining ownership, the feeder owning the calves, you doing it yourself?

dun":284r4ugx said:
In what respect? Remember I don't know anything about them or how they work so I can't answer your questions specifically...... Retaining ownership, the feeder owning the calves, you doing it yourself?

http://grahamfeedyard.com/index.cfm?show=8&cat=12

This is one that is close to me. I found em doing some research on Nolan Ryan Beef. I'm hoping he can't make his into hotdogs fast
enough and I could sell him some beef................;)

From the link I'm assuming you mean havin ghem feedout/finsih your calves. The usual way is to be charged feed, medical and acertain amount for daily yardage. They'll market them for you an get a percentage of the price they are sold for.

dun":3swffwyd said:
From the link I'm assuming you mean havin ghem feedout/finsih your calves. The usual way is to be charged feed, medical and acertain amount for daily yardage. They'll market them for you an get a percentage of the price they are sold for.

That doesn't seem like a bad way to go with the drought here. It would also give your pastures a break.

Kingfisher":1q1g5f1b said:
dun":1q1g5f1b said:

That doesn't seem like a bad way to go with the drought here. It would also give your pastures a break.
The catch is that you have to have the type of calves that can gain efficiently. Some will, some won;t, that's just the way genetics works out

dun":zu8fflpl said:
Kingfisher":zu8fflpl said:
dun":zu8fflpl said:

The catch is that you have to have the type of calves that can gain efficiently. Some will, some won;t, that's just the way genetics works out

I'm sure they can help you out with that problem too at the feedlot? :)

Kingfisher":19st00p3 said:
I'm sure they can help you out with that problem too at the feedlot? :)
You're still back t osome will and some won;t. If the cost of feed gets too close to the cost of gain the yardage will eat your lunch.

Latest posts