feeding weaned red angus 7 month old heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I recently bought 18 red angus heifers out of Chateau, Vacation and a Marias son. They were about 575 - 600 at weaning. If my hay is about 13% protein and 50-55% TDN, what do I need to supplement them with?

I am intending to use a 14% corn and soybean meal feed. I am just going to give them about 2.5 lbs a day. I just want to push them along enough to get them plenty growthy at 12 -14 months. Any better ideas?

Tod Dague

Reaction score
I usually just give enough to keep them at a BCS of 6.
I like to use corn & cotton seed meal. Looks like you have pretty good hay and you may not need much supplement.

dun

Reaction score
Depends on what you consider "plenty growthy". Our Red Angus and F1s just get good quality pasture after a couple of weeks of grain right at weaning. Too much supplement at this point can cause fatty udders that will decrease milk production. As yearlings our heifers run around 750-800 and calve at around 1000-1050. The only supplement they get is a high quality mineral and white salt. If the weather is going to be severe we'll give them a little corn gluten for a couple of days before and after the cold. Other then that it's strictly medium quality hay or stockpiled fescue pasture.
They cycle and breed first service over 90% and are bred to calve at 23-24 months.

dun

hillbilly

Reaction score
redangus":y2oe69bg said:
I recently bought 18 red angus heifers out of Chateau, Vacation and a Marias son. They were about 575 - 600 at weaning. If my hay is about 13% protein and 50-55% TDN, what do I need to supplement them with?

I am intending to use a 14% corn and soybean meal feed. I am just going to give them about 2.5 lbs a day. I just want to push them along enough to get them plenty growthy at 12 -14 months. Any better ideas?

That sound exactly like we grow our heifers except our weaning weight is
about 50 lbs lower than your heifers.
You may have to sort them if a couple start getting fat, but ours stay about right at 2.5# of 14% per day.
Our heirers weigh 850-900 @ 14 months, yours will be at least 50# heavier.
Then you can turn them out with the cows and not have to worry about them untill calving.

Hillbilly

Latest posts