feeding to gain weight

Help Support CattleToday:

jtbakv

Reaction score
I am considering buying a few heifers and steers to add weight and then resale. how much feed would I have to feed per day to add 200lbs in about 60 days if buying 400-500 lb calves. they would also be eating hay and grass.

Well they will spend the first 10 days just trying to get used to water and feed and you, so your down to 50 days, 4# adg I can't see happening regardless. Aim lower, you can always pat yourself on the back when you do better than expected, but failure is hard to recover from.

I was just inquiring about the amount of feed to add weight quickly without hurting the calves I know 60 days is stretching it a bit probably more like 70-80 days to add this much weight.

I can't pencil a profit turning calves in 60 days on the open market.
Theres not enough time to over come the setback and grow a profit over the fixed costs of putting in(and reselling) calves.

Trying for a big gain in 60 days doesn't work. Even If you could feed them that hard, you would screw up their digestive tract.
1.5 lbs gain in 60 days is doing well- 3.33 lbs gain is unrealistic .
Even rough calves won't bloom enough in 60 days to make a profit in the open market.

I would be looking at 90 to 120 days to get 200 lbs on them. 90 days if everything goes great. 120 days if they are slow to start, get sick or you are not feeding them optimally.