feeding show steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

dream catcher

Reaction score
My daughters steer was really doing well and weighed 1250lbs and some one poisoned him according to our vet the vet gave him charcoal and he lost 120lbs he has pulled threw but we only have 31 days til show day and we have been slowly getting him back onto feed he was eating 25lbs a day and looked great and now he has to put his weight on her FFa teacher said he should weight 1300 to 1350 lbs for show . he is now getting 17 lbs a day and we are adding 1 lb aday to each feeding. any sugestions how to get his weight on again in time for fair and not bloat or make him sick? And she also has show heifer that won't shed her coat steer is sheding great. They are both reg black angus.

Moocow11":3q9490n6 said:
ask aaok for his feed ration it has worked great for us

Your trying to put weight back on a calf that was sick and lost it. It will take a lot more than just feed. Implants will cause a super increase in appetite and feed conversion.

yes but ur gona have to do for than implants. make sure you give him a quaility feed, vitamins, and minerals

if there is still to long of a withdraw period i think they will offer sheets to you to fill out to say how long they need to wait to butcher them or at least that is the way at our county

Do you know what he was poisoned with? Do you know that he will be cleared for slaughter due to that poison?

Revalor is a growth implant approved for us in slaughter cattle. There is no withdrawal. You can find it at any local vet supply store and many feed stores. Revalor "S" is the strongest version out there. G is just smaller doses. I believe one S = 3 Gs.

How did the vet know your calf was poisoned? Did he do bloodwork?

Cellorator worked on getting my daughter's steer back up to weight when he was sick. There is no waiting period you can give it to them all the way through fair.

Was this steer actually poisoned, or just over fed? I don't raise show steers, but I do finish out a few every year. I usually do screw up at some point by trying to increase the amount of feed too quickly, and when they go off, they usually stay off for a week or better, of course losing wt. (guess you could call it poisoning-same effect, only unintentionally)
This past year my screw up was with the water. Just one night, I neglected to make sure the water tank was clean, and just added water. The next day I knew I had a problem. Cleaned out the tank, refilled. I never knew a steer could drink so much! Long story short, full feed with one day of no water equals one week off feed! I was feeding 2 steers at the time and they both had the same symptoms. Won't make that mistake again! Now, I also make sure I feed some hay first, and then feed rations. Water, hay, then feed. I'm sold on it!
Best of luck with your steers!

the vet said it was poisoned but it was out of his system in five days the vet said he took a sample out of his rumon he said if it was from grain the fluids out of rumon would of tested for it. All we know it almost killed him caused a temp too we checked for coccida and worms and that was clean. Believe me who ever did it don't want to come back They will regret it as mad as I am, my daughter has worked so hard at this and pays for every thing herself her last year to show because she gradurates this year. I can't believe how gruel people can be just to elminate compation. To take it out on the animal is wrong. Thank you all of you for your suport on this'

Moocow11":2wnct6l4 said:

personally i would not switch feeds this late in the game, especially if he is just now getting back to eating close to what he should be. don't want to risk him not liking the feed or going off feed due to the change.

Ryan":qb6c6o00 said:
Moocow11":qb6c6o00 said:

personally i would not switch feeds this late in the game, especially if he is just now getting back to eating close to what he should be. don't want to risk him not liking the feed or going off feed due to the change.

I agree with Ryan, if what you been feeding got him to 1250 lbs I am sure it will finish the job. Might try some of the other things people have suggested.

Latest posts