Feeding Raw Soybeans ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Some concerns locally about being able to sell beans this fall. One reaction has been discussion about using a couple pounds of raw soy beans per day per cow as a protein supplement. Have you done this?

Stocker Steve":19i8bulk said:
Some concerns locally about being able to sell beans this fall. One reaction has been the discussion about using a couple pounds of raw soy beans per day per cow as a protein supplement. Have you done this?

I know a lot of dairies have roasters where they roast the beans and then feed them.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are some health concerns feeding raw beans if too much is consumed. Roasting them will take care of the problem. But I think a pound or two would probably be fine.

ChrisB":2i1lzmjf said:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are some health concerns feeding raw beans if too much is consumed. Roasting them will take care of the problem. But I think a pound or two would probably be fine.
My understanding is its a "no-no" before they're processed but according to this study, they can be fed as up to 15% of the daily ration

http://agebb.missouri.edu/mgt/lane.htm

mncowboy":22qbj9qf said:
ChrisB":22qbj9qf said:
My understanding is its a "no-no" before they're processed but according to this study, they can be fed as up to 15% of the daily ration

http://agebb.missouri.edu/mgt/lane.htm
For cattle they can be feed in any form, pigs are the only one's that need it to be roasted before feeding. Also that is 15% of the total DM daily intake, which for supplementing cows that would be more than you would need to feed.
The mix I have used in the past for cows is 350 pounds of corn, 200 pounds of SB, and 10 pounds of mineral with around 20% calcium. That comes out around 20% protein, so I fed 5 #/head/day, for 1 pound of protein. Soybeans are high in energy, and can be fed solely without the corn, but you have to feed such a small amount, that you are better thinning it with corn.
If I remember soy also contains some of the highest levels of natural estrogen, so it will also help with fertility.

sim.-ang.king":1tdamlr6 said:
If I remember soy also contains some of the highest levels of natural estrogen, so it will also help with fertility.
A more correct term is natural plant based estrogen.

Genistein is an isoflavone found in fava beans and soybeans.
Isoflavones have been shown to interact with animal and human estrogen receptors causing effects in the body similar
to the hormone estrogen.
Rats fed whole soybeans did not show any change in puberty development.
Rats fed genistein isolated from soybeans developed early onset puberty.

There are very few studies measuring early childhood consumption of soy products and its' effects on puberty.
Medical records show many girls are reaching puberty significantly earlier than 40 years ago.
The jury is still out on feeding infant formula made from soy.
But there is a fear it might be a cause of childhood obesity and early puberty in girls, which has been associated with
an increased risk of breast cancer.

(Information came from an article in Psychology Today.)

Stocker Steve":en539pfg said:
Had not thought about blending beans. Was planning to throw a bucket o beans into the bale ring.
If you got some ear corn to grind and mix, it would work even better. With ear corn you could use it as a finishing ration, if you cut the beans back to equal out 10-11% protein.

Latest posts