feeding program

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm":zsyx8d60 said:
Alan":zsyx8d60 said:
tapeworm":zsyx8d60 said:
Alan :"Tapeworm once again you have a knack for showing people what you don't know.

Yea well one of these days I hope I can grow up and be as smart as you alan...maybe evben have your ways of getting along with peopel. LOL I put in my posting what I feed and said thats its always iteresting hearing what others do..but sometimes I get tired of hearing you alan becaus eyou think you know it all ...I said that its always good hearing what other do but thats not good enough for you is it alan...you remind me of an old feed truck I use to ahve...try to turnj the key off and it just keeps on clattering

Tapeworm maybe I'm reading you wrong, but to me you have a knack for running people and their animals down. What's wrong with spoiling your horse? I feed "fancy" feed. and enjoy the affection my horses give me. I enjoy the challenge of my yearly stallion prospect. Like I said I may be reading you wrong but why draw a picture of me as a guy with a ponytail, earring and flipflops? Why say something like telling someone that you don't like their kind of "Stringbean" horse if not to run them down. I drive by pastures that have horses in them that I know haven't been touched in years. As long as they have feed and water, it doesn't matter to me...my wife and I choose not to do it that way. Like I said if I'm reading you wrong I'm sorry.

I certainly don't know it all, I know more than some and less than most. I spent a great part of my life around horses and pick up what I can. I wish I knew more. Whenever I have a horse in trouble I feel like I know very little.

I feel the "cowboy" way isn't always the best way, for example, I feel that you start a horse with months of preperation and building a bond of trust. I don't think it's right to go out a "break" a horse, because that's what happens you break the horse's trust and confidence. Just a opinion and example. I'm sure I'll catch heat for this.

Tapeworm I do enjoy your opinion, like you do me I just get under you skin sometimes.

Alan
You may call what i do running things down but to me its called being hjonest. Im not a stinkin politican alan..I can say whats on my mind. You do the same thing whether you ever admit it or not..just like you alway running down the cowboy ways of doing things. Not saying its always right but its sure not always wrong like you paint it up to be either. And you dont know me either..nothing about me. It was in 19 and 80 that I broke my first horse the *new* way alan..without him ever bucking..worked on the ground forever seemed like..felt like a fool...walking behind a horse with lines run throuhg his stirrups driviing him on foot..perfectly good stout young colt with a saddle on him and here I am following him on the ground like a fool. I only done that if i was sure nobody would catch me becaus it was pretty much unheard of back then. It took forever and I hated ever minute of it but if that sorrel gelding ever bucked a day in his life I never knew about it. I ahvent roughrode one since. Nowdays i firmly beleive that ther is no reason for a horse to ever learn how to buck You didnt know that about me did you alan?? That was in 1980..what grade were you in then alan?? And now you already know it all

You spoil whatever you want to alan..thats your business not mine. I jsut keep bussiness separate from things pleasure. Grandkids are made for spoiling..horses for buisness. And if a horse can get by and do his job on whole oats and good prarie hay {like theyve done for years} then that is the cheapest thing to do. some of you guys think its got to have a fancy name or a fancy price or its not any good. Horsemen have fed oats to horses for years before all that fancy stuff come along..we had some mighty good performing hjorses back then to alan..you dont agree and youll say that horses are diferent now and better..need more supplamenting. And ina way your right..but I have to ask if there enough better that we can really call that progress..can we?? Some are turning the horse business around like thever done the cow business alan.yea theyll raise a bigger calf than they used to..long as you carry the right groceries to em

Alan one more thing to shjow that you dont know me or anything about me...i dont mind spoiling stuff as long as its not business and cost me extra money. Alan I might brush the horses a little longer on thjose bad cold windy nights when somnethings got em stirred up..thats spoiling but it dont cost me nothing...I might be in the horsebarn til Im froze solid just because it makes em feel a little better. And so waht if my old brokemouth dogs get cornbread and sweet milk ever Sunday morning Alan?? And if they dont feel like getting up and coming to get it I carry it to em!!So waht?? Nothing wrong with spoiling stuff alan and I never said there was

Alan I think the best thing for me an you to do is this..lets jsut agree that we dont like each other and be done with it. at least that way we can say we agreed on something at least once
You take care of yourself and yours alan...until we butt up heads again

No I didn't know that about you! We may get you in a ponytail and flip flops sooner or later. :D

The cowboy way isn't always wrong or right.

JMO,
Alan

tapeworm":8cs113r5 said:
..they dont ever need to learn how to buck. And if something ever happens to one of them broke that way..spooks him..whatever..and he unwinds his watch on me I know Ive got a better chance of staying with him if he never practiced his bucking. Cause even at my age..if hes not an acomplished bucker...as long as hes not a real bad rough broncy colt I can eat him alive if he thinks hes going to make me walk to the horsebarn

Thanks Tape! Boy, I totally forgot about the bucking thing! You sure are right on that point! I don't recall that any of the horses I've started ever bucked, come to think of it. Seems that the older I get, the harder that ground seems to get too! I've also reached an age where there's no denying it anymore; I just can't sit a bucking horse. Period. :lol:

tapeworm":8cs113r5 said:
I remeber that little grulla filly now that you mention her...a little lineback you posted a photo of right?? i sure would like to see her again if you ever have a chance. This was a good posting TR. Thank you

Yup, that was her. I thought I had her sold, but the lady who was so interested in her before she was born, backed out. Seems her husband didn't want her to have a horse? :shock: She's turning out to be a little looker for sure too, and I'm pretty critical since I bought her mama bred and didn't get to chose her daddy. Oh, I'm sure he's in there somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can see it. She's the spittin' image of her mother, with a few of the flaws corrected. Friendliest little thing too. However, she's getting to that "pushy" point, so its time to really work on halter breaking her, teaching her to load, pick up her feet, etc. I'll see about getting a pic of her for ya today. Guess I ought to start advertising her too..... :cry:

I think people have the impression that the cowboy way is wide open hell bent for leather.just being able to stay on a bucker dont make you a cowboy it means your athletic cowboy,cowman cattleman,horseman, whatever comes from experiance. the best cattleman i ever new couldnt tell you sqwat about other cattle but he damn sure knew his business even the good cattlemen would tip there hat to this guy :hat:

J said " There is a big difference today in "horse people" and horsemen of the past."

You are so right!! I cant even talk to these so called *horse peopel* of today..but thats okay tho...i still havent found any of them that I want to talk to for very long LOL

Alan said " We may get you in a ponytail and flip flops sooner or later. Very Happy"

LOL Alan....your a good sport. My hair bothers me if its on my coller..I dont see how you guys can wear it hitting your shoulderblades...and if you ever see me wearing a flippflopp youd better call the vet to bring me a shot..ace or rompem and lots of it LOL
Take care Alan

tapeworm":3kwsi5u8 said:
Alan said " We may get you in a ponytail and flip flops sooner or later. Very Happy"

LOL Alan....your a good sport. My hair bothers me if its on my coller..I dont see how you guys can wear it hitting your shoulderblades...and if you ever see me wearing a flippflopp youd better call the vet to bring me a shot..ace or rompem and lots of it LOL
Take care Alan

Thanks tapeworm,

But just so people on this board don't draw the wrong mental image of me, I also can't stand my hair touching my collar or ears for that matter. Although I wish I still had the problem with it getting in my eyes. Don't worry about either with my aging hairline. :D .

Alan

Interesting thread here I have been reading. I guess I fit the "old school cowboy" profile. Tape I broke my first horse at age 11 and second at age 12. The old way. This would have been around 1961. Here's the cycle, horse turns 2, get bridle on horse, get saddle blanket on horse, get saddle on horse, get foot in stirrup, get up real fast, hold on.

Just getting back into horses after many years. I enjoy reading all the new and old ways of doing things. I did my training the old way because that is what I was taught and that is all I knew. I have heard alot of new things that seem to make the whole process much easier that I am sure I will try.

I will be the first to admit I don't understand 2/3's of what the folks (horse) I have been around lately are even saying most of the time. I say "pardon my ignorance but I'm just an old cowboy, can you explain that to me"?

Just picked up a year old filly Saturday. The owner is a big time performance horse producer and shower. He said "when you get ready to get someone on her back give me a call I have two guys I use". I looked at him and said "I will be the first one on her back". He gave me the look like "right". I maybe old and foolish but I will be the first one on her back and the first one on the yearling stud horse also. I don't land as softly as I used to so I will enlist some of the "new" technique's being used to hopefully cushion the blow. I will be the first on their backs.

I enjoy reading about the old and new ways and I will incorporate some of both I assume. So you guys keep arguing and I will keep learning from you.

Latest posts