feeding horses canola seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Canola meal is safe, but I'm not sure about canola seed. I don't seem to be able to find anything difinitive about it, either way. I would be a little bit concerned about the oil content of the seed and the possibility of them becoming overly fat, thus causing feet and health problems. Since oil tends to be a source of energy, I would also be a little concerned about having a rambunctious horse. You might want to check with your vet on this.

many thanks for that, our horses play polocrosse and at times we do have trouble maintaining their weight as they travel almost every Friday (usually 3-5 hour one way) to tournaments for the months July to Mid November. Sometimes they do not like the water provided and therefore wont eat as much as I woukld like.

Try putting a filter on your water at home then when you travel take a filter with you. They will likely drink and eat better.
Don't pay big bucks either. A paper cartidge filter with a female hose attachment on one side and a male attachment with a short piece of hose on th outlet is likely all you need. You can screw a hose onto the filter where ever you go.

I've talked to everyone I know who is experienced with feed. No one seems to know if canola seed might be bad or good for horses. Several wanted to know why anyone would want to try?

I've talked to everyone I know who is experienced with feed. No one seems to know if canola seed might be bad or good for horses. Several wanted to know why anyone would want to try?
I have a bunch of oats with a bit of canola seeds in it from changing fields from one crop to another and combine not cleaned out completely that's why maybe a bit of canola in feed ?

Latest posts