feeding out a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Okay here is the question, How do I feed out a calf when I do not live on my farm. I have plenty of grass (coastal bermuda) . I am at the farm a couple days a week. Would bagged feed two days a week add enough. I sure am tired of paying grocery store prices for beef.

You could get a Steer-stuffer type feeder and have a feed mix with salt or other feed limiter to limit consumption.

There are grain feeders you can get. You can manipulate how much grain is put out at a time. It has to be checked every now and then again to make sure it is not empty and that it is still flowing through.

Papa do you have any kind of covered loafing shed or another other structure in the field with the calf where you could put a trough for feed and keep it out of the weather.

Papa,

We have the same situation. We don't see our cattle every day. Bought an automatic feeder from Sweeney Feeders. Actually, a dog feeder. It holds about 75 pounds of feed at a time and dispenses it at timed intervals. Works like a charm. Calves learn to come running when the dinner bell goes off. There are other manufacturers that make them, some bigger than the one we have.

Good luck.

Farmgirl

jkwilson":3ed1t8cw said:
You could get a Steer-stuffer type feeder and have a feed mix with salt or other feed limiter to limit consumption.
i am not famliar with this type auto feeder. i too can only go on the weekends but i do have someone who will check for sick calves daily. what would be a good auto feeder for about 30 300lb steers that would auto dump twice a day

Latest posts