feeding orphaned 3 week old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

hewitt_teresa

Reaction score
We just lost "Norma's" Mom two nights a go. We have gotten bottles and calf formula from the local feed co-op. We Have been trying to get her to take the bottle for two days with moslty no luck. She will take the nipple into her mouth wiht no problem and hold it there for 5 to 10 minutes before dropping it but she is not nurssing on it. we have tryed molasses on the nipple...she likes the molasses but still didnt nurse on the bottle. she is eating alfalfa hay. about a 1/2 flake in the hour we were watching her. Do you have any sugestion on suplements or tricks to get her to take the bottle? Or can she survive on putting the dry milk suplement in Cob or something else if she doesnt take the bottle?

when you put the nipple in the calves mouth.lightly clamp your hand around her nose an mouth.working your hand in a sucking motion.or try putting the milk in a bucket an putting her head in it.an see if she will drink like that.scott

If the calf is three weeks old it can eat all the hay it wants - it will not live if that is all it eats - been my experience anyways - needs a whole bunch more.

Go to top and hit search - look under bottle calf, bottle baby and so on - tons of info.

If it is dehydrated and I suspect it is - time for force feed -tube it and go from there - good luck

Bez!

Might try a sheep nipple. It's smaller and easier for them to nurse while they are making the transition from mother to bottle. I've used it in your situation with good results. Bez is right, you need to get some milk down this calf - 3 weeks old is to young to wean. Whatever method you can get to work, don't hit her with a full bottle or you will probably have a case of scours on your hands. Give her small amounts several times during the day, gradually increasing the amount until she is back up to the full 2 quarts at each feeding (I usually - depending on the circumstances - give a pint per feeding and increase by a pint a day. I watch the calf closely and if the manure becomes loose, I back it off for another day). Also, make sure your milk replacer is at least 20% fat and 20% protien - 22% is better. Just my thoughts.

PS Milkmaid should be on here pretty soon, she is the resident expert at bottle babies.

The calf nipples usually have too small of a hole to give out much milk. We make the hole a little bigger so more milk is dispersed. Just be careful that the holes aren't too big and cause the calf to aspirate some into its lungs because it sucks it down so fast.

How come no one ever pays attention to my turkey baster? HUH? HUH??????

It works, does not have the expense or trauma of tubing the calf, or holding a bottle in a calf's mouth for hours on end.

Turkey baster, suck the milk that the calf wont drink out of the bottle, and squeeze it into the back of the mouth, they HAVE to swallow it, and at some point in time, they seems to figure it all out, and then will allow you to put the bottle in and suck it.

What ever you do. DON"T let that poor calf get, or stay dehydrated!
Good luck! :cboy:

Medic24":2m3ki62c said:
How come no one ever pays attention to my turkey baster? HUH? HUH??????

Because I can just that calf jumping or bunting and me either putting his eye out or accidentally ramming it down his throat! :shock: :shock: I tend to do better with a bottle - much less room for damage. :lol: :lol:

I have also put my finger at the back of the calves tongue (thru the side) to stimulate the sucking. It worked at the time we tried it. I've heard of putting cloth over the calf's eyes like it was sucking against it's mother??? just and idea

vquinn2":2trz21tu said:
I've heard of putting cloth over the calf's eyes like it was sucking against it's mother??? just and idea
Where do ya'll come up with this stuff.

Norma figured out the bottle and is doing just great. she is eating hay and drinking water from her bucket and taking the bottle like it was her own mom...well you know what I mean. It was a geat moment to see her figure it out. I think we were just an excited and she was. Thank you all for your advice I am sure over the next months I will have more questions and look to you for answers. So you know this expriance has made "Norma" a 4-H show cow and my 13 year old step daughter a new vegitarian...we will have to see how sted fast she is next time I serve tacos..hehe
Thanks again Teresa

pdoramus":3vvch8v4 said:
The calf nipples usually have too small of a hole to give out much milk. We make the hole a little bigger so more milk is dispersed. Just be careful that the holes aren't too big and cause the calf to aspirate some into its lungs because it sucks it down so fast.

Don't cut the nipple, they are that size for a reason.

Latest posts