feeding oats

Help Support CattleToday:

kiend17

Reaction score
hey id like a little help? i ween my feeders and put them on feed at home here, i pail feed them ground oats with straw hay and minerals mixed in and dry hay free choice i was wondering if there was anything i should add to the ground grain like distilers grain to make them grow better. i feed around a 100 feeders they come of the pasture around 450 500 pounds tia

kiend17":1n6kc4m2 said:
hey id like a little help? i ween my feeders and put them on feed at home here, i pail feed them ground oats with straw hay and minerals mixed in and dry hay free choice i was wondering if there was anything i should add to the ground grain like distilers grain to make them grow better. i feed around a 100 feeders they come of the pasture around 450 500 pounds tia

If your grinding wheat straw, and oats, what's your proportions of each?

Iam by far a expert but that mix doesn't seem like it would grow light weight calves very good. I would think u would need more protein the DDGS would help And if your using oat straw hay it would have a lot of filler with the straw and not a lot of oats.

I've read your original post a few times, and I still can't get a clear picture of what you are feeding. If your feeding what I think your feeding, it doesn't sound that great. If the oats were cut for hay, then that's a little better. If it's the straw balesd after the oats are harvested, then I'm lost. A decent place to start would be to get an analysis of both of your inputs. What your feeding sounds marginal even for a dry cow, not a calf still growing frame.

what dont you understand about it? its 3/4 of a load of oats grain with 6, 50 pound square alfalfa timithy and brome hay bales and 6 square oat straw bales and minerals. not sure what the oats straw weighs

kiend17":3i4jmpx7 said:
what dont you understand about it? its 3/4 of a load of oats grain with 6, 50 pound square alfalfa timithy and brome hay bales and 6 square oat straw bales and minerals. not sure what the oats straw weighs
Thanks. That's a lot more information than your original post contained. You'll get some protein from the alfalfa and the timothy and brome should be decent. Oat straw will be little more than low quality filler. You'll need to supplement it with something to raise the protein and energy level. DDG, cottonseed meal, soybean meal or whatever high protein source is available in your area but hard to guess how much without knowing the real nutritional value of the hays being used.