Feeding Holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

johnny25

Reaction score
Hi guys, i posted this type of topic in another forum and got some help but was hoping to get a little bit more info. I'll make it short this time.

I have 400-800 lb holsteins that I will turn out at springers. I need a good idea of how much to feed the sizes. I separated the heavy eaters from the light eaters and they are separated by general size. 23 400LS 15 500-600LBS 24 700-800
I only have very good alfalfa hay and oat hay at my disposal along with grain for the 400 weight. In order to get the 1.6-2lbs a day that i need to make my operation run smooth, do I have the right feed for the proper weight gain. I fed alfalfa and almond hulls forever, but this year the hulls were to much money so i moved to oat hay and i cant put my finger on the right ration. Will I get the proper nutrition out of my current available feed. Thanks in advance.

I would certainly think so, I believe I would do equal parts alflafa/oat hay until the end up cleaning it all up and then you can make adjustments to allow excess for snacking on throughout the day. I would have both tested, sometimes the oathay will surprise you with it's protein.

Latest posts