feeding holstein steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Backforty

Reaction score
Hello,

This spring I bought 2 Holstein calves at 400# and I am wanting to take them to 7-800# then sell them, simple enough idea.
Both calves are on pasture, rye grass, and I was wondering how much grain they should be fed each. assuming they are around 500#.
On a side note can grain be fed directly or does it need to be ground up first. I have a chance to buy grain cheap from a local farmer and I will just keep it stored till next spring when I buy more calves and start this venture all over again.

thanks, Backforty

blackforty we usually bottle feed holsteins calves every year to help get more numbers for are feeders and we take them to 4 weights. What we usually feed is 3#s 14% calf pellet and free choice hay. We also usually feed a protein tub and are holsteins lately have truely been the best looking ones we ever raised. If someone wants to argue about our feed they can but it works great for us. I would say if those calves are on grass and rye pasture i would probably only feed 1% of body weight in corn a day along with a good mineral.

I buy feed out about 100 holstein steers a year. I usually buy them at 500#. When I buy them I feed them 1.5% body weight in corn, .75# grower which is 37% protein, and all the alfalfa hay they can eat. When they get to about 700# I feed them 2 lbs/day alfalfa hay, 1# Finisher(40% protein) and all the corn they can eat. Always has worked good for me. They finish at 1400# and gain 3-3.5 lbs/day

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I am doing alright then for this year, but ill take the protein into factor more next year.
Thanks again

Latest posts