Feeding Hay Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Well Howdy! Ok my question is as follows I have one horse in my pasture that when i give him the normal two flakes of grass hay he does not eat it all he always has some left over when i feed again in the evening. Last week i moved him over to one flake of grass hay in the mornin and evenin instead of two but to me that is not enuff his pasture is up but mostly weeds that the horses dont like and he gets a pound of alfalfa pellots with all his vit and min in the evenin and no grain in the morning :cboy:

it may not be a prob. our horses leave hay behind all the time they come back eventually and clean it up. the only diff is, ours have plenty of grass and we're not really feeding hay anymore. sometimes loneliness can cause an animal to go off of his feed. don't know if that's the case with yours, but it does happen everyonce in a while. hope nothing serious is wrong with him/her/it.

no i dont really think its lonleness he has always been by him self in this pasture and like i stated my pasture is kind of up and there is alot of weeds that they dont eat but some they do so possible iam just being a over reacting parent :roll: and should just keep feeding the way i feed LOL

(just am thinking...but herd animals are herd animals are herd animals Just because they have always been alone doesn't mean they don't hanker for the herd)

Does he look thin or not eat his pellets? If he seems okay otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

naw he eats all his pellots i just think he is that way he has always been the slower eater in the bunch and so i think he just eats then wanders off and forgets :roll:

Whats your question again??? Why are you worried? If the horse gets hungry enough he will eat as long as youve got it out there. What do you mean "slower eater in the bunch" when you say he has always been by himself in your other posting?? Youre starting to not make sense. Good luck anyhow

Latest posts