Feeding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Blackhawk505

Reaction score
I have three holstein calves that are around 4 months old.Been feeding them alfalfa,and a mixture of Cubes and sweet feed.They seem to have no interest in feed until they finish alfalfa.I was wondering about just feeding them alfalfa which is a whole lot cheaper than bags of feed.Alfalfa going for $9.00 a bale and bags of feed going for around $12.00 a bag.Then put them on feed to fatten them up later.Any help would be helpful.Thanks.

WEll that depends.. . What are you going to do with them? And... what are they? steers, bulls, or heifers?

It depends what you're doing with them , if you're feeding them out , I would switch to a good grass or mixed hay and feed grain at about 2-2.5 % of their body weight . make sure your feed has minerals in , if not they will need some.

Blackhawk505":331seazx said:
Have 2 steers and 1 bull,plan on feeding them out to butcher in a year or two.
I can tell you this..they will be PLENTY big by that time to butcher! Do as shorty suggested...grass, minerals, and some feed.

We butcher our Holstein steers out at about 18 months. I usually like to keep them on grain since they aren't as "meaty" as other breeds.

Why are you keeping one a bull?

Caught first two before they knew what we were up to.Third one wont come anywhere near us now.

My two Holsteins are going to the table as well. We give them hay but they get 2.5 - 3% of the body weight a day in calf feed. We get it for $7.50/50#. If you can't catch them how do you vaccinate them? Worm them?