feeding calves

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
We have two calves that are 2 months old and are starting to eat grain as well as milk from their mothers. How much grain should we be feeding each of them, and how often?

lilfarmgirl":15kk77bx said:
We have two calves that are 2 months old and are starting to eat grain as well as milk from their mothers. How much grain should we be feeding each of them, and how often?

none.

That depends on what breed of calves they are. Every breed is different and they can be fed different. I have fed one breed in particular that at two months of age it would be a perfect time to start them on grain I've also fed another breed that could never be put on grain. Some cattle are made to be fed cheap grain and some are made to be fed expensive hay. And others can eat just grass and survive just fine. A person needs to know the breed of the calf to give you any kind of good advice.

lilfarmgirl":x0byvtyi said:

If you have to feed the calves grain to achieve your goals, you have the wrong momma's to begin with.

or theses calves heifers you plan on keeping?not that it matters. but you can make a mess for yourself getting baby heifers too fat. especially during the time the mammary glands are developing.

the calves are baldies, one is a heifer the other a steer. Both will come up and try to eat but the mommas push them away. They will come up later if we are out and bellow at us. Either way, if they will be okay without the grain that is fine, if they should have the grain that is fine also.

Okay so do I feed grain or not? I have baldies and they come up to the feed trough to eat. The mommas push them away and they will come back at times lick the trough and bawl at us if we are out. I do not want to hurt them by feeding grain if they should not have it. We are keeping both heifer and the steer we will fatten up. I do not want the heifer to get fat.

Multiple solutions. 1} More bunk space so the calves can sneak in and get a taste. Unless you're really hammering the grain to the cows the calves won;t get enough to really have much affect. 2} Set up a creep gate kind of deal with a bunk just for the calves. 3} Quit graining the cows. 4} Leave things as they are and don;t worry about it. There are probably more but those are the ones that come readily to mind.

dun