feeding bread to cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks, Chris. Apology accepted. This topic thread just had too many opportunities for us to take shots...lol. Guess similar to the post about the truckload of Habanero peppers. Keeps things interesting and on the light side relative to some of the heavy posts that happen on these boards. :)

[email protected]

Bread and bread by-products should be considered as excellent sources of "supplemental" energy for your grazing stock (if they are priced as they should be). I would highly recommend feeding it on a limited basis to your calves to significantly and cheaply increase their weaning weights. However, caution should be taken not to initially over feed. This is a highly digestible carbohydrate and could cause severe or fatal acidosis if fed too much too soon when the rumen is not accustomed to this type of feed. When managed properly, these types of cheap agricultural byproducts will confer a competitive advantage to those producers who choose to take advantage of them. Again, I stress that you consult with a nutritionist or veterinarian on how to deliver the product before you just dump a load of bread out to your animals who have been on a high roughage diet their whole lives. good luck .

Craig-TX":1oicmzov said:
The math belongs to Chris, not me, but I'll stand by the numbers just the same. For those who might have started reading the board lately, you will notice there are basically four type of folks who post here:

1) Producers who attempt to make a profit off their calf crop

2) Breeder/seedstock operators who attempt to sell their animals to producers for a premium

3) Hobbyists and people running specialty breeds who attempt to at least get a tax deduction for something they enjoy (no insult implied)

4) And then there are those who claim to be #1 or #2 but were born with a burr under their saddle. Either that or they're "all hat and no cattle" and attempt to sound like a big shot on the boards by talking down to folks.

Some of the comments posted here will apply to 1 – 3, some of the comments are made from a single point of view. It's what keeps it all interesting.

Craig-TX

the all hat and no cattle people usually drive big pick-up trucks in the city and are known as the Urban Cowboys

Be careful when feeding any bakery products becuase they have a lot of salt in them and bakery products should be limited to not more than 20% of the diet.

Latest posts