feeding baled corn stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

spike

Reaction score
In drought conditions is there a problem with nitrates in baled corn stalks?

spike":10rw00fb said:
In drought conditions is there a problem with nitrates in baled corn stalks?
if the corn stalks have corn on them.id be worried about afatoxins in the corn.since its drought stressed.

There can be a problem, but not always. Sending a test off to a lab is a lot cheaper than a dead cow(s). If it comes back good to go you can sleep better at night and it really didn't cost that much.

You mention drought but say the corn will have been picked before baling so I assume the corn went thru some decent growth in which case nitrates should not be a probelm. A test would be fine. If anyone grows milo in your area the milo or "Maize stalks" make much better roughage often have relatively high crude protein levels.

Around my area I'm never really concerned with nitrate levels as I am with mold. We feed cornstalk rounds to our cattle and if the stalks have been rained on or were baled in the early morning moisture may be present in sufficient quantity to develop mold. The bad thing is you never really now until you get into them. Last year our supplier had some great bales and we are planning on going to him again this year.

Latest posts