feeding a show steer

Help Support CattleToday:

gibby

Reaction score
I have a lighter (450 lbs) steer that I purchased october 28th that I need to reach at least 1100 pounds at my show on august 19th...he is a high quality steer. What is the best, most efficient feed plan for him, any suggestions are welcome. Are there any feed supplements for him. I have 2nd cutting grass alfalfa hay mix that i free feed, and I purchased country acres sweet mix plus feed and started him on 4 pounds of that daily, he has fresh water and a mineral salt block at all times.

Depending on were you are will depend on what you can get for feed . You are right he is on the lite side , but it can be done . Your hay is fine , just be carefull ,no straight alfalafa , they can bloat on you . Buying that bagged sweet feed is going to get expensive , do you have a feed mill that you can get rolled barley at that you can mix it ? Do you have your steer in with another ? Always best to raise buddies . I would suggest loose minerals , hard for them to get what they need off a block . Do you have feed mill that makes a barley/corn steer ration ? That's what we feed ours till the last 90 days then we have them on full feed Payback pellets. Have you implanted your steer? That'll help . If you have Loomix in the area get a 5 gallon bucket of sweet and 5 gallon bucket of unsweetened and mix . That'll help 'em grow.

Latest posts