Feeder cattle castration setback

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckian

Reaction score
I currently am buying groups of 250 pound bull/steer calves and feeding them to 425-450 pounds. I am wanting to cut the Bulls to sell larger groups of all steers. My question is how bad weight wise will it set the calves back. In the short time frame I keep the calves I've heard different opinions on the dock in price for selling them as Bulls vs the higher per pound price but weight loss of steers. Any one got any experience with this or know how to figure this dollar wise?

If they're on a good feed program for a couple weeks first, I don't think that they'll lose much if any when you cut them. Make sure you give them blackleg with tetanus. If you band them I'd say that they'll lose some weight

I've had this group for about a month and a half and are on about 5-6 pounds of feed per head per day and good pasture. Seem to be growing well. if I can keep them growing a little through the healing process I fell like I will definitely be money ahead.. about 150 dollars difference between bull and steer prices at 450 pounds

Lazy M":11s7o62h said:
If they're on a good feed program for a couple weeks first, I don't think that they'll lose much if any when you cut them. Make sure you give them blackleg with tetanus. If you band them I'd say that they'll lose some weight

I've noticed the opposite with small calves. They dont' seem to notice the band and if you get on the wrong sign of the moon they can mope around for a couple days with a knife.

I do the same thing your doing and I use the XL bander, I use it on calves 250 to 700lbs and I don't see much of a set back.

Do cattle that run through the sale ring banded sell as bull or steer calves if the bag has not yet fell off? Kind of a newbie question but never sold any calves that were recently banded.

kentuckian":2ov8iq5h said:
Do cattle that run through the sale ring banded sell as bull or steer calves if the bag has not yet fell off? Kind of a newbie question but never sold any calves that were recently banded.
You do not need to sell them when recently banded. They will not sell as good as steers and sometimes not as good as bulls. Not really a good reason for it but thats how it is. If you use the large bands and then cut the bottom off of the sack they will heal up really quick. It looks terrible but it works.

Latest posts