Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

I stopped feeding gluten to our calves we fatten for beef too. We are currently feeding a ration of corn, soyhulls and corn gluten. I wonder how dropping the gluten part which currently is 1/3 of the ration would be?

You would be short protein, corn is around 8% and soyhulls are around 12% so you can't get to 14% without bad math. Cattle are ruminants and have a very complex digestive system, it is very unlikely that gluten or distillers is causing meat off flavors. Have you tasted either of those ingredients? Cattle like them because they taste good.

You would be short protein, corn is around 8% and soyhulls are around 12% so you can't get to 14% without bad math. Cattle are ruminants and have a very complex digestive system, it is very unlikely that gluten or distillers is causing meat off flavors. Have you tasted either of those ingredients? Cattle like them because they taste good.
Actually, I used to think that the gluten didn't cause an off taste, but we came to believe that others were correct in saying it did. We finished two out at different times, with different amounts of corn gluten in the rations. It was noticeable in one but just a slight off taste, the one finished on a ration with a higher percentage of gluten was very noticeable. After that we've finished some on corn, and much better taste. As far as me tasting the ingredients no I haven't, but I can say that sheep and goats do not like corn gluten. We fed a ration of 1/3 corn, 1/3 soyhulls, and 1/3 corn gluten. Both sheep and goats would sort out the gluten. Sheep would eat it but would leave it till last and our goats would just leave it. Other sheep raisers have said the same that they didn't like it, evidently its bitter to them.

My feed guy swears that gluten makes no taste difference. Can you actually tell a difference?
To me and most people that have few it in the past yes there is a huge difference. If unsure why take a chance when dry distillers grain is almost the same price when in the mix.
I'm going to make an assumption that either your feed guy makes more money on gluten or doesn't get DDG.

To me and most people that have few it in the past yes there is a huge difference. If unsure why take a chance when dry distillers grain is almost the same price when in the mix.
I'm going to make an assumption that either your feed guy makes more money on gluten or doesn't get DDG.
No, he called me last time I ordered and said that DDG price had really gone up and I would be cheaper with corn gluten. I would always get DDG in the past.

Anyway, that's how the subject came up. I think I'll take your advice though and go with corn at the end since most of this meat is getting sold.

No, he called me last time I ordered and said that DDG price had really gone up and I would be cheaper with corn gluten. I would always get DDG in the past.

Anyway, that's how the subject came up. I think I'll take your advice though and go with corn at the end since most of this meat is getting sold.
So different here . Gluten got high so they started using DDG

A close friend of mine's brother was such a hell-raiser when he was younger, that at least one bar (think mountain top dive with the main seller being homemade moonshine) would lock the door and turn out the lights if he pulled into the parking lot. That is saying a lot for a Cocke County TN bar......

Latest posts