Feed Tests

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
What is the average costs to put cattle on feed tests. The one i am interested in is 520 for the 160 day test and they will ultra sound the cattle. one other question is what is the average costs for ultra sounding cattle. Per head, group etc. Thanks

Scotty

Scotty":3ro5zhh7 said:
What is the average costs to put cattle on feed tests. The one i am interested in is 520 for the 160 day test and they will ultra sound the cattle. one other question is what is the average costs for ultra sounding cattle. Per head, group etc. Thanks
Scotty

Is this a bull test? If it is a BIF approved bull test the costs are not unreasonable. 160 days sounds a little long for a bull test though. I have been paying $12 per head for ultrasound.

If it is a test that will utimately end with the cattle being slaughtered, a feedlot would be much MUCH cheaper!

Sorry, not all testing for 160 days. There is a warm up period. Its for Reg. cattle only, for developement of bulls. There is an opptional sale if you wish. I picked this one over most because they use a silage based ration instead of a grain. Called around and they got good marks for bulls not melting when finished with the test. Have about a three pound gain.

Scotty

Howdy,

More information.

Here in Virginia, we have a state sponsored Beef Cattle Improvment Association test.
http://bcia.apsc.vt.edu/
There are of course certain fees and rules for entering a bull for test. Yes, they have a 2-week warm up period, and then on to a 112-day test, ultrasound, and sale management. The overall price is a variable. It will be overall divided by how many bulls on test, by how much feed was used, by how much gain the bull acheived. But, the $$$$ you stated sounds about right.

Scotty":2w3nual1 said:

Scotty

We test bulls at OBI in Stillwater, OK. Costs depend on the price of feed and that's going up as gasoline prices go up, but it will probably cost $500+ for feed and ultrasound. They can go into one of the sales if they perform well and that's worth quite a bit to us. More bull buyers come with more money to their sales than ever come to our house.

Have you checked out North Texas' bull test at Gainesville? They don't have a sale but when we used them they were one of the cheaper places to test. Like OBI, they test all breeds, but if you're considering testing Angus, you might check out the Red River Angus group. They're getting together a bull test and sale. Send an email to this guy for more info: [email protected]

Decided to feed them myself. Talked to the manger of a reg. ranch near by and he is going to help out with the scaning. He is going to have a group ready at the same time. Also he willl have a sale and posible to consign with him. Don't know how much to consign. I found a 10 % complete feed. I am running them on costal and klein with the feed. Slip in some alph hay in the evenings. Cost 150/ ton.

Scotty