feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I have 21 cows and 8 young calves. Will 100 pounds of cotton seed cow feed be enough with the round roll of hay I am already giveing per day. I haven't been feeding any sweet type feed, only the hay, and some of them are starting to look purty poor.

No to sound cocky, but there are 100 questions that come to mind. Were they healthy to begin with including parasite free etc? What kind of hay? Was the hay fertilized? What kind of cows? The list goes on.

If you are feeding 1000 lbs of fertilized hay each day, 100 lbs of cottonseed meal, and givng them plenty of clean water, they should sustain in my opinion. If you are trying to grow out the young 'uns a bit, they might be coming up a little short, also IMO.

They aren't going to starve to death if they are all getting to eat something close to their equal share.

when i feed, i feed 10 lbs per head a day to go along with my hay. right now i making a feed of 300lbs of cracked corn 100lbs of oats 600lbs of soybean hulls and 1000lbs of cottonseed. at 10lbs a day it seems to be doing ok. i think when i use this up i'm going to cut the grain out and just use cottonseed and soyhull pellets.

I know it's a vauge question, but yes they were healthy, vacinated and wormed. The hay is a mix of bermuda, fescue and it's even got a little sage in there. It's not the best hay I have had. This was a first year calving for 8 of the angus mix hiefers and they calved in September, a bad time of year I know. Grass was about gone. that's just the way it happened this time, I'll try to get on track next breeding. I guess I just turned my back and let them get down, my fault. I'm hoping that they will spring back and wondering if that was enough feed, along with the hay. Thanks for the reply.

One roll for 20 cows? My question is access, and hence who may not be able to shove/push their way to the hay. I don't see 20 cows are getting around one hay ring. If your not using a ring, but are rolling it out then you may be losing alot (i've heard numbers as high as 30%) due to trampling and defication. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sorry, I got called away for a minute. Anyway, it may be better to set out 2 rolls every other day to be sure that all are getting access to the hay.

rc

I'm not sure what cottonseed cow feed is? Is it whole cottonseed or is it cottonseed meal/ or cubes or something else.

In my experience, hay plus 5lb of whole cottonseed will put weight on dry cows. Thin cows with calves would probably need 6-7 lb/day as a lactating cow requires more energy.

If it is cubes you are feeding, I would recommend feeding 20% cubes at 5lb/day to dry cows and about 7 lb/day to nursing cows. The 20% cubes normally have more energy than 38% cubes, which will help cows add or maintain their weight. The 20% cubes are close to whole cottonseed in nutritional value, but usually priced a lot higher.

BTW-Did you find out any more info on the cotton fiber blend you mentioned on a previous post. Just curious.
Hope this helps.

Regards

Brock

they are not able to all get enough hay, i put out a bale for 5 that way the younger cows can get more. the dominate cows will even lay down in front of the bale and keep the others away. and it last almost a week. i feed 3 - 5 lbs of 11% feed last period for pregnant cows. If they are nursing calves they need more feed. 1st calf heifers need alot more to grow and milk. it is easier to keep them in shape this time of year than try to get them in shape.

Latest posts