Feed peas

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Anyone ever substitute field peas for cereal grains in their rations? Thinking a 30% pea/30% barley/40% screening pellet mix would be ideal to develop bulls and background calves on. Trying to think of ways to up the protein content in rations without having to buy pricey soybean meal.

Aaron":265na0jl said:
Anyone ever substitute field peas for cereal grains in their rations? Thinking a 30% pea/30% barley/40% screening pellet mix would be ideal to develop bulls and background calves on. Trying to think of ways to up the protein content in rations without having to buy pricey soybean meal.

Aaron

I know people do feed peas - but in truth I do not know the feed value or the ration mix.

I will say this - the people that were feeding peas did like it. So if you have a source then you will probably be happy with it.

Merry Christmas to you - be safe and be happy,

Bez

One of the greatest values of peas is cattle feed. Used with barley,oats or corn they are a real asset. We raised them for feed some before there was much markets for them . N.Dak. did a lot of research at Carrington several years ago on peas to feed in fattening rations and also as suppelment in wintering cows. Where we learned a lot about peas was a feedmill in Canada that we did business mixed peas ,barley and lentels in a pellet. Wonderfull feed!! Once had a meeting [years ago] about pulse crops and it was mostly peas the local farmers were quite dissappointed as the main topic was feeding and not much on anything else. Use them in your feed rations anyway you can. They have got a lot more expensive these last few years.

All you need to do is bale up the pea pummies (straw), and mix that in. Then you got your roughage and pretty much a complete ration, just need minerals and vit. to balance it out.

Aaron":3ankhprt said:

Aaron it should make a good ration as long as you have a good supply of them and the price is right. Use to know some deer ranches that fed them mixed with corn. Made an awesome mix. Most were cull peas from a processing plant and they almost gave them away. Once the demand picked up the price went thru the roof. You can make it work. What kind of "screening pellets" are you talking about? A few places down this way makes them and they are basically nothing but elevator dust and high in toxins. Hopefully you're are better. ;-)

TexasBred":1g0l86r6 said:
Aaron":1g0l86r6 said:

Aaron it should make a good ration as long as you have a good supply of them and the price is right. Use to know some deer ranches that fed them mixed with corn. Made an awesome mix. Most were cull peas from a processing plant and they almost gave them away. Once the demand picked up the price went thru the roof. You can make it work. What kind of "screening pellets" are you talking about? A few places down this way makes them and they are basically nothing but elevator dust and high in toxins. Hopefully you're are better. ;-)

I am not sure what all type of screenings are in the pellets I buy as they are just generic and can vary somewhat from load to load. But they do consist largely of pea and barley screenings. Some of the elevators have a lot of problems with vomi and mycotoxins in their pellets, but this manufacturer is known for quality pellets.

I looked into getting some peas today, but my local feedstore's supplier doesn't have a dedicated source for cheap peas, so it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

jedstivers":2by0l0jp said:
Are the peas ground or rolled? Can they be feed whole?
Should be able to feed them whole if you need to. They'll soften considerably and rumination will take care of crushing them.

jedstivers":1obnwjsw said:
Since peas are called so many diffrent names are we talking about cowpeas/purplehull peas?

Most I've seen down here were either purple hulls or black eyed peas.

Latest posts