Feed Inflation ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Increased government spending, drought, Putin, have all driven up the price of feeds. The taking heads skip over whether feeding is profitable and suggest that livestock producers lock in feed costs. I am updating the cull list, again, and revisiting by products.

Do you have a new feed plan for the next three years?

Over the winter I have been feeding grain daily, but less than other years. Once the cattle are out on grass I will cut back further. All grains seem to be high. Manufacturing by products are less expensive. There is an oat pellet by product I am interested in.

Planning to do more pregnancy checks. Opens may be culled, but depends on who they are. Might do a couple clean-ups with cheap semen in the tank from a home-raised Angus bull.

TwoByrdsMG is having good luck with embryos. Planning to do a couple. If I can make more money selling ET calves, I will use all my cows for recips. I just need to know what buyers want.

What percent of your cow herd is left?
Oh, I still have all of it….😉

The difference in numbers 15 years ago and now? 50% coupled with a 22% reduction an acres operated. Funny thing….bottom line is better.

I may be short 10 or so head that the land appears to be able to support in the way I now manage. But let's face it, at the end of the day I haven't left any money on the table. I would love to fertilize some hay land…but at $1000 a ton…Ha! I just made it through a winter with a lot of subpar hay and did just fine.

My land has responded well to destocking. I'm not overworking it and it's not overworking me. It's a happy balance in my opinion.

Grass and hay. We have such a low rain fall here that it is always a drought. The reservoir is nearly full so we have irrigation water to raise hay. Buying hay locally is tough. But the big irrigation projects still have water so they will have hay. There will just be freight involved.
I was talking to a man at a branding Friday. Along with cow/calf they have a small feedlot. He was talking about a lot of by product feed they are using at the feedlot. Including onion screenings, cull potatoes, and apple pulp from an apple juice maker. The cows get a lot of straw from the grass seed growers.

Feeder prices have not dropped as fast as I thought they would. I have LRP on 80% of my 2022 calf crop, and still plan to buy some additional grass cattle. Talking heads think Branden and Putin are doing things to reduce beef demand, so we will need to reduce the cow herd more during 2022-2023.

Years of $7 corn will impact cattlemen in the Midwest a lot. I plan to modify some gates for semi access, and add several single strand fences for feeding under a wire, but high diesel prices will undercut the trucking of byproduct...

With fertilizer and fuel both high - - stocking rate is even more critical.

Last edited:
Increased government spending, drought, Putin, have all driven up the price of feeds. The taking heads skip over whether feeding is profitable and suggest that livestock producers lock in feed costs. I am updating the cull list, again, and revisiting by products.

Our current government is the main problem.
High oil prices makes everything go up. Handing out free money causes inflation, inflation causes higher interest rates, we're in a bad way.
My plan is to survive.
We don't live beyond our means and never will.
I feel for the young working people just starting out. It's going to be tough until this mess is straightened out, if that's possible.

Las
Our current government is the main problem.
High oil prices makes everything go up. Handing out free money causes inflation, inflation causes higher interest rates, we're in a bad way.
My plan is to survive.
We don't live beyond our means and never will.
I feel for the young working people just starting out. It's going to be tough until this mess is straightened out, if that's possible.
Last years feed ingredients were record highs but you ain't seen nothing yet. Just hang on.

Feeder prices have not dropped as fast as I thought they would.
Years of $7 corn will impact cattlemen in the Midwest a lot.
Minnesota acres planted 2022 vs May 12 2021
2022 corn 9% planted
2021 corn 81%
2022 soybeans 2%
2021 soybeans 59%

There will be a significant number of corn growers who will be taking the prevented from planting payments rather than switching to plant soybeans.

2022 corn 9% planted
2021 corn 81%
2022 soybeans 2%
2021 soybeans 59%

There will be a significant number of corn growers who will be taking the prevented from planting payments rather than switching to plant soybeans.
2021 we didnt get much rain so its hard to compare to this year. 2020 wasnt much better.

$416 a ton for 16% pellets
$375 a ton fir 12% pellets
That's a no go for me. My pencil ain't sharp enough. I 100% agree you can't starve a profit out of a cow but I also 100% agree you can't go broke trying to feed a profit into one either. Let's face it not all cows are meant to be put in a pasture and allowed to produce. It's our job as owners to cull out the cattle who don't pencil out

2022 corn 9% planted
2021 corn 81%
2022 soybeans 2%
2021 soybeans 59%

A little oats was mudded in here. Lots of clay balls in the seed beds...
No corn or beans planted yet. I think the planters will roll in a couple days.
How does corn prevent plant pencil out compared to beans?