feed for replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I kept back 20 head of replacement heifers. I went to the feed store today to get a feed ration, and learned the manager had family problems and quit. The best they could do was pull up an old ration I had, but it won't work, as I did not purchase silage. Then they offered a "complete feed" their version of show rite, but I cannot feed hay with it! I have more than enough hay! I have corn oats mix in the bin now that I am pailing with free choice hay, and a protein lick tub. The guy said I am losing growth feeding them like that, but it would be atleast 2 weeks before some one could come work out a ration. Any suggestions in the mean time so I don't go backwards with them? Oh, my pasture rent contract says off Oct. 1st. So it's in the lot only.

Why won't that work?

Lots of replacements do just fine on corn/oats/mineral thru the winter.

The feed guy is just trying to get you to buy more expensive feed than you need to.

certherfbeef":3pa04k2u said:
Why won't that work?

The feed guy is just trying to get you to buy more expensive feed than you need to.

Exactly, he just wants you to buy HIS feed.

Sounds like he was a car salesman before he got into feed. ;-) :lol: :lol:

certherfbeef":3is8kwe5 said:
Why won't that work?

I would have to agree.

With decent quality hay, a balanced mineral supplement you could feed a couple of pounds of DDG a couple of times a week. Reasonable rpice, heifers will grow well and not get fat.

dun

I wish I could find the article..... I think it was from U of Nebraska AG.... anyway, with replacement heifers on free choice good quality hay, (water, minerals, etc)... the optimum corn/(oats) was 2 to 4 pounds per day.... anymore than that when they have free choice hay is negating any benefit. You in addition have a protein tub.... So if you add that into it, I'd go with Dun and feed some grain a couple times a week, and watch them over winter and see how they are progressing.

mitchwi":1mvi9o24 said:
I wish I could find the article..... I think it was from U of Nebraska AG.... anyway, with replacement heifers on free choice good quality hay, (water, minerals, etc)... the optimum corn/(oats) was 2 to 4 pounds per day.... anymore than that when they have free choice hay is negating any benefit. You in addition have a protein tub....

And when they hit the grass there will be a degree of coompensitroy gain also. Not enough to make up for just general poor nutrition, but enough to let them reach their abilities.

Heifers only need to be 65-70% of mature weight at breeding time according to the "experts" at most universities.

If you have 1250# cows your heifers should weigh 875-900 at breeding, if they weigh 550 now and are going to be bred in April they need to gain about 1.8 to 2.0 lb/day. 3-5 lbs of your grain mix should be about right with the hay(if it has some quality) and protien tub.

If I was to guess your feed guy is going to have you put them on some high priced, really hot ration and you're going to end up with heifers that are too fat and won't milk as well as cows. That will cost you twice-paying for feed up front and poor producing cows.

Just my 2 cents.

Engler":39fdqiee said:
Heifers only need to be 65-70% of mature weight at breeding time according to the "experts" at most universities.

If you have 1250# cows your heifers should weigh 875-900 at breeding, if they weigh 550 now and are going to be bred in April they need to gain about 1.8 to 2.0 lb/day. 3-5 lbs of your grain mix should be about right with the hay(if it has some quality) and protien tub.

If I was to guess your feed guy is going to have you put them on some high priced, really hot ration and you're going to end up with heifers that are too fat and won't milk as well as cows. That will cost you twice-paying for feed up front and poor producing cows.

Just my 2 cents.

You are exactly right. There is almost always a cheaper and more efficient way to feed them. So at what age do you recommend breeding hefiers?

hayray":1cpczfgn said:
You are exactly right. There is almost always a cheaper and more efficient way to feed them. So at what age do you recommend breeding hefiers?

Most people want to have them calve at around 22-24 months. So that would mean breeding them at 11-13 months of age. As said before, weight is an important factor as well.

randiliana":3nol35pl said:
hayray":3nol35pl said:

Most people want to have them calve at around 22-24 months. So that would mean breeding them at 11-13 months of age. As said before, weight is an important factor as well.

11-13 plus 9 is 20-22 not 22-24.
We breed them at 13-15 months

dun

dun":1inrcl4a said:
randiliana":1inrcl4a said:
hayray":1inrcl4a said:

11-13 plus 9 is 20-22 not 22-24.
We breed them at 13-15 months

dun

You are right :oops: I guess my adding is waaaaay off, sorry.

Stocker Steve":2yhyjime said:
1) Test the hay.
2) Skip the tub, and feed more oats or DDG if CP is really needed.
3) Top dress or blend in mineral with Bovatec.
Why do you suggest skip the tub?

hayray":2azfz74z said:
Stocker Steve":2azfz74z said:
1) Test the hay.

In my area the most expensive source of protein are tubs and the cheapest is good hay. I think there is too much processing and mark up with tubs. Soy, oats, and by products are usually inbetween for $/lb of protein.

I know tubs are convenient. I tried them until I calculated what they cost me vs. buying a little better quality hay.

Here output from one one of my programs. Hope it formats ok

Enter Name of Feed Hay Alfalfa Corn Oats CS meal Lick Range 20% All
tub cubes range purpose
meal meal
Enter total weight 1000 2000 100 50 100 200 50 50 100
Enter total price, $ 50 170 8.3 6.92 8.55 42 6 5 7.95
Enter DM basis % 92.74% 89.00% 89.00% 89.00% 92.00% 75.00% 90.00% 66.67% 92.00%
Enter TDN % 58.16% 58.00% 89.00% 74.00% 70.00% 50.00% 76.04% 84.15% 64.50%
Enter CP % 7.31% 17.00% 10.00% 13.00% 41.50% 20.00% 20.00% 20.00% 14.00%
Total Cost on DM basis $53.91 $191.01 $9.33 $7.78 $9.29 $56.00 $6.67 $7.50 $8.64
Total cost of TDN/ton 185.40 329.33 209.57 420.29 265.53 1,120 350.69 356.51 267.95
Total cost of CP/ton $1,475 $1,123 $1,865 $2,392 $447.88 $2,800 $1,333 $1,500 $1,234.47

Well it didn't format worth a darn. Sorry. The upshot is that for protien, CS meal worked out to $487/ton compared to $2,800/ton for lick tubs. A 20% 2:1 range meal worked out to $1500/ton for protien content due mainly to the fact that it has a DMI of only 66% (i.e. salt content is 33%). The DMI of licktubs is only about 75%.

Stocker Steve":ekmumx25 said:
hayray":ekmumx25 said:
Stocker Steve":ekmumx25 said:
1) Test the hay.

In my area the most expensive source of protein are tubs and the cheapest is good hay. I think there is too much processing and mark up with tubs. Soy, oats, and by products are usually inbetween for $/lb of protein.

I know tubs are convenient. I tried them until I calculated what they cost me vs. buying a little better quality hay.

Thanks Steve, justed started with a few tubs because they are conveinient but had not done the calculations yet.

We have always fed ours good quality hay and a five gallon bucket full of 50% shelled corn and 50% gluten per 8 head a day. They grow well on this combination and it is not too expensive. The feed mixture was $110 a ton last winter.

Latest posts