Feed for bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
if you were gonna feed by hand every other day or every 3 days. Once grass is coming in good Just to keep the cows feed bucket broke what would you feed. Sure makes it a lot easier to move and pen them with a shake of a bucket

Should mention I'm giving them 41% cotton seed meal and 16% pellet right now giving the cottonseed meal as a bump in protein since the quality of hay ain't the greatest. I can keep them on that mix but just once grass comes in good they shouldn't need to much extra protein

i can holler at my cows months after I feed them and they still come runnin.. usually if you rotate them I holler even if they are waiting so they know whenever they hear me they are going to get something good.

I usually feed with a 4 wheeler, so even if I don't have feed with me they tend to follow the 4 wheeler around. Pretty sure you could put just about anything you want in the tote I leave on the back and they would follow wherever I wanted.

DCA farm said:
Should mention I'm giving them 41% cotton seed meal and 16% pellet right now giving the cottonseed meal as a bump in protein since the quality of hay ain't the greatest. I can keep them on that mix but just once grass comes in good they shouldn't need to much extra protein
Once you have grass I'd switch to the cheapest thing I could find. That will usually be some sort of "All Stock" feed.

TexasBred said:
DCA farm said:
Once you have grass I'd switch to the cheapest thing I could find. That will usually be some sort of "All Stock" feed.
Yes all stock 12% runs right at $7 a sack here

ddd75 said:
i can holler at my cows months after I feed them and they still come runnin.. usually if you rotate them I holler even if they are waiting so they know whenever they hear me they are going to get something good.

We also do this.... it's Pavlov's Law

"found that for associations to be made, the two stimuli had to be presented close together in time (such as a bell). He called this the law of temporal contiguity. If the time between the conditioned stimulus (bell) and unconditioned stimulus (food) is too great, then learning will not occur."

So someone above asked how to get them to start coming when called, just when feeding start saying sook or whatever sound u want when you hand feed them and it wont take long...also cheap sweet feed in the summer wks wonders if not worried about quality... helps a lot if your in a jam and by yourself when a cow is out bc they will chase you to the end of the earth for that stuff...

Latest posts