feed conversion

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords have always been known for feed conversion, at least according to the AHA web site. ;-) I'm sure, just like anything else, there will be good and bad animals in every breed, but some breeds will fare better than others overall.

It'll be interesting but, just like with the tenderness thing, whatever they come up with needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

VanC":fywedpvz said:
Herefords have always been known for feed conversion, at least according to the AHA web site. ;-) I'm sure, just like anything else, there will be good and bad animals in every breed, but some breeds will fare better than others overall.

It'll be interesting but, just like with the tenderness thing, whatever they come up with needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't know, I have a feeling that this trait will have more of an impact.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1q8wlec9 said:
VanC":1q8wlec9 said:

I agree. It will probably have a huge impact, especially for the feedlot buyers. I'm just saying we need to pay close attention to the way Bovigen arrives at their conclusions.

To what extent will feedlots accept a slower rate of growth (more days in the pen) to benefit from a higher feed conversion rate? The research I am familiar with shows the higher feed conversion makes for better profitability overall, but turnover will be margially reduced.
On the positive side for the feedlots, the research was on a specific purebred, the F1's retained their feed conversion while increasing the rate of growth, I just wonder which trait is more desireable if it were an either one or the other trait?

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":dlri30a6 said:
Bovigen has identified a gene for "feed conversion". Should be interesting to see what breeds dominate in this. Any guesses? ;-) :cboy:

Red Poll

VanC":3opf0ck4 said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3opf0ck4 said:
VanC":3opf0ck4 said:

I agree. It will probably have a huge impact, especially for the feedlot buyers. I'm just saying we need to pay close attention to the way Bovigen arrives at their conclusions.

I'm thinking this "FE" genetics thing cannot pinpoint animals with any degree of certainty and is just another misnomer by Bovigen.

There are way too many variables. Pancreas insulin production, body temperature, saliva production, bone structure, to name a few.

Thay might have identified a couple of unique genes in animals that are efficient, but selection for those genes may offset other valuable characteristics.

I'd like to see the research on this project.......... :roll:

Leaner type cattle are always more efficient that those little short, fat, butterballs. Takes way more calories to put on fat.

I've always heard that feedlots sell time and grain. Why
would they want cattle that finish early? I don't know,
but suspect that not a lot of people retain ownership
....but even if you retain ownership, doesn't the feedlots
make more money on the cattle that take longer to
finish???? :?:

OK Jeanne":3btwy5g7 said:

I read somewhere a while back that almost half of "Fats" are owned by someone other than the feedlots. That would be considered retained ownership, I presume.

Feedlots have all kinds of programs where they will partner with you on your cattle or sell you a percentage of a pen.

They are selling feed but want their "Partners" to make money so they will continue to do business with them.

"Early" finishers are not necessarily moneymakers. If that were true, everyone would be raising lowlines and/or miniatures.

OK Jeanne":1b3jmu8n said:
would they want cattle that finish early?

Less days on feed means more profit for whoever owns the cattle.

I don't know,

Probably not, but it's gaining in popularity.

but even if you retain ownership, doesn't the feedlots

Yes, but if the producer isn't happy with the way his cattle are being fed or the time it takes to finish them, he'll ship them to another feedlot. Feedlots need cattle, whether they are finishing them for themselves or someone else.

MikeC, of course earlyfinishers are not NECESSARILY moneymakers. That's as obvious as saying high-growth cattle are not necessarily profitable either. It's just one trait of many that we all desire in our cattle. And I have never heard a feedlot owner complain about cattle finishing too quick. They always have more cattle from other buyers/producers lined up and waiting for an empty pen.

As for the testing itself, there will be excellent individuals in each breed that will be identified, but at the Olds College Steer-A-Year Trials, Galloways and Limousin have always been in the top 2 or 3 for over 20 years, at least for conversion. The other standouts are coming to me right now, but I'll look it up when i get time.

I just got back results on a few head I had sent in for the gene testing. Of the 8 possible alleles 2 per each of the four genes)my small sample of 4 head averaged 6. These are all angus. Express ranches reported the results on all of the animals in their recent sale. Just looking at the reults and not actually calculating an average, I think they will be about the same. These were also all angus. Not sure if there are any results out there yet for any other breeds. I don't think anyone should make any major management decisions on this new info, it is just a new tool to use. Maybe down the road it will be more important. Every thing has to start somewhere.

At the BIF conference this summer I spent an hour or so, listening to a scientist talk about this who basically said that they aren't really sure whether this works or not. Sometimes this gene(s) appears in more feed efficient cattle and sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

blacksnake":1k0dkhrq said:
I just got back results on a few head I had sent in for the gene testing. Of the 8 possible alleles 2 per each of the four genes)my small sample of 4 head averaged 6. These are all angus. Express ranches reported the results on all of the animals in their recent sale. Just looking at the reults and not actually calculating an average, I think they will be about the same. These were also all angus. Not sure if there are any results out there yet for any other breeds. I don't think anyone should make any major management decisions on this new info, it is just a new tool to use. Maybe down the road it will be more important. Every thing has to start somewhere.

You are talking about Tenderness and marbling genes right, not feed conversion.

No I am talking about the feed conversion genes. Bovigen does the tenderness, marbling, and feed efficiency on each sample for the same price as they used to do just the tenderness and marbling genes. As of today, they test for 3 tenderness genes (6 alleles) 4 marbling genes (8 alleles) and 4 feed efficiency genes (8 alleles). Hope this helps to clarify.

OK Jeanne":2j62kq1q said:
Feedlots are in the business of selling the most pounds of meat with the least amount of inputs. Feed being an input less of it would be better. I'm not sure where you heard we sell time and grain but both are wrong that info must have came from a poorly managed feedyard. We buy grain and time is money ask the banker as he gets paid more the longer you have his money. Both are expenses. Maybe things are changing but where I'm from it is hard to sell an expense.

blacksnake":7jhzxelq said:
No I am talking about the feed conversion genes. Bovigen does the tenderness, marbling, and feed efficiency on each sample for the same price as they used to do just the tenderness and marbling genes. As of today, they test for 3 tenderness genes (6 alleles) 4 marbling genes (8 alleles) and 4 feed efficiency genes (8 alleles). Hope this helps to clarify.
Do you mind me asking what the averages were for each marker?
Congrats for haveing them tested.

Here Are the results for the animals I have had tested. The ones with more results are the ones tested most recently. Bovigen keeps adding new tests as they are developed.
Tag# Tenderness Marbling Feed efficiency
T1-T2 T3 QG1 QG2 QG3 QG4 FE1 FE2 FE3 FE4
11 1 2 2 0 0 NT NT NT NT NT NT
2 2 0 0 2 0 1 0 NT NT NT NT
18 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 NT NT NT NT
14 2 0 2 1 1 0 0 NT NT NT NT
10 1 2 2 0 0 0 O NT NT NT NT
16 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 NT NT NT NT
13 1 0 2 1 1 0 0 2 2 1 2
15 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 2 2 0 1
11 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 0
22 2 1 2 1 0 0 0 2 2 1 1

NT= Not Tested. I will calculate the average of the 600 plus animals that Express Ranches sold and post them later.
Hope this helps

Latest posts