Feed Bins

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a local place start building metal bins. Only thing worse than their product was their customer service. Sweated, wouldn't drain down and had to replace chute with a different one. Neighbor laughs and says they are all that way. He now owns it. Currently have my 3rd 2.5 ton load in the new poly. Love it, so far. Cleans very well. Can see the level of feed. Does not sweat. Much better. We will see about longevity.

circlebllc":3htgfsqj said:
Had a local place start building metal bins. Only thing worse than their product was their customer service. Sweated, wouldn't drain down and had to replace chute with a different one. Neighbor laughs and says they are all that way. He now owns it. Currently have my 3rd 2.5 ton load in the new poly. Love it, so far. Cleans very well. Can see the level of feed. Does not sweat. Much better. We will see about longevity.
Have dairies down here that have been using the same "metal" bins for many many years with no problems. Most sweating comes from putting feed in them that has not adequately cooled after milling OR you might even have a leak.

Leaks are pretty common with the metal ones around the riveted areas. Or if you take them down and put back up somewhere else and they get dented or jarred so that the riveted areas are compromised. And if you don't get them empty and let feed sit it will rust them out. I have several metal ones and all have some small problems. But they are all previously used ( and abused). Would like to try a poly one, especially for the sweet feed.

farmerjan":3kqluqge said:
Leaks are pretty common with the metal ones around the riveted areas. Or if you take them down and put back up somewhere else and they get dented or jarred so that the riveted areas are compromised. And if you don't get them empty and let feed sit it will rust them out. I have several metal ones and all have some small problems. But they are all previously used ( and abused). Would like to try a poly one, especially for the sweet feed.
Must be talking different tanks. All down here have hundreds of screws with rubber washers. Legs basically keep anything from getting to the tank to knock dents into it. Most have an auger that extends well away from the tank for filling buckets. It does help to clean them out when empty. Don't know about sweet feed. Seems it would dry out quickly regardless of the tank. Of course it would depend on how quickly you empty the tank as well.

I have to metal bins. Mine have hundreds of screws with rubber washers like TexasBred said. One of mine i bought new it will hold around 6 tons the other one I bought used it holds around 3 ton. I haven't had any problems with feed getting wet or going bad in either.
Doesn't seem like to me the plastic ones would last. One cold day around zero and you accidentally bump into it with the tractor or the feed truck driver hits it with the auger seems like it would crack.

Mine was completely welded, no seams and NO leaks. Cleaned between loads. Some are obviously better than others. Thousands are sitting and being used.

Since all our bins are 2nd, 3rd, or more, "hand" they have often been knocked around. So a few little dents here & there, banging them around taking them down, has caused the welds and rivets to be compromised. A couple we riveted patches on the inside where they were rusting through. I also paid little or nothing for the 5 we have. No augers, we fill buckets directly from the bottom with a slide opening. There are alot around here that have been left to sit and they are the ones that get wet spots, and then cause feed problems. With the dairies going out of business, and the farms being sold off into small "farmettes" or 5-25 acre "estates", the bins are often sold off or taken down, stored out "behind the barn" and then start to rust and get dents etc from the moving. Have never had a new one so can't say. The sweet feed tends to stick to the sides more, the pellets flow pretty good. But this year with all the wet/moisture/rain etc has caused some mold in any that do not close up pretty tight. I have had trouble with the pellets in one getting wet where the dent doesn't allow a smooth flow to the bottom and we cannot find any leaks in the side. There is one somewhere there, maybe higher up we haven't found. I still wouldn't trade them as it is definitely cheaper to get feed by the ton and then you can get a custom mix if you want it.

I got first bin last fall got a metal 5 ton with auger on a concrete pad. I have nothing to compare it to but it beats the heck out of the gravity wagon i was using. Big tobacco bought it for me through the caip program.

I have the 6.5 ton poly bin. Love it!!! Feed flows freely, no build up on the cone walls. Been using it for three years now. Had a galvanized bin for years until it rusted out. Feed would build up on the cone walls and would not flow freely when feed level got low. You can also see the feed level through the white walls.

Latest posts