feed and calf size

Help Support CattleToday:

northernboy

Reaction score
I have been feeding relativly high quality feed(15% availible cp-.60 n e m grass silage) to all my animals.THe ration is 90% grass silage + 10% corn silage(no test) free choice tm salt. My first cow of the year calved with a 120-130 bull(her 3 rd calf). Should i be worried about the other cows having large calves or would this be fluke calf? This is the best feed i put up in years, usually it test 10-11% cp+.45 nem. I run pinz bull his largest calf last year was 90 lbs.I know its to late to do anything,but it might be helpfull to know before i crop next year.

Calf size can definitely be tied to how the cow is fed, but 120 pounds seems extreme. I would watch them very close.

the only thing you can do for this year is cut their feed way back.an hope that you dont have to pull to meny calves.your doing what we call growing the calf in the cow the last trimester.an that isnt good todo at all.as for next year.60 to 90 days before calving start feeding enough just to maintain their body condtion.an not feed to put alot of weight on them.

I wintered cows for a guy that calved out about 1500 cows and he told me that in order to keep the calf size small he would put straw in the bale feeders and feed just enough silage for some nutrients, he would start doing this ten days before they calve or when they start showing. But he also said that the birth weight of the calf is 50-60% the bull and 30-40% the cow so you can only control 10-20% at best. Don't know if this helps but it came to mind when I read it.

Latest posts