Fattening up a heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

wshn41

Reaction score
Hi I have a 3 month old bottle baby. I've had her from a day old. She was pretty sick and almost didn't make it. She eats well now and is still getting a full bottle morning and evening , free feed grain and hay and has grazing. I ended up giving her a 1/4 tsp of red cell back when she was 1 1/2 months to get her picked up enough to eat better I was having to feed ever 2 to 3 hours to get a qt and a half in her for the day. I was wondering if there is an additive I could give to help her pick up a little more weight get her back to size with the others. She's not skinny but she's not where she should be.

Attachments

• 4ADD06C4-CF10-49E3-B772-1226BF4516D8.jpeg
    4ADD06C4-CF10-49E3-B772-1226BF4516D8.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 34
I assume you have wormed her? If not, then I'd do so. At her age, the free choice hay and grazing may be working against you, if the hay and/or grass is low in nutrients, and if she is filling up on that. Try a mixture of 1 quart crimped oats, 1 quart cracked corn, a 16 oz can of alfalfa pellets, a 16 oz can of beet pulp pellets. Pour an ounce of that red cell on it, 2 oz of wheat germ oil, 2 oz of rice bran oil. 4 oz of corn oil. Get a pail of 100% biotin crumbles ,and put a scoop ( that comes with it) in the mix. And a table spoon of loose minerals and a table spoon of salt. The oils and the biotin will make her coat shiny and healthy. and anything good for the hair, is good for the skin and for the hooves. If she clean all of that up, then feed her twice a day, and/or increase the amount of corn and oats in the mix. Do this for a month, and I believe she will be a different looking heifer by March. Is she in a pen or pasture by herself? Or can she be? If so, see if you can find dairy-quality, high-protein alfalfa hay for her. Where are you located?

Buy a 50 lb bag of Calf-Manna, by Manna Pro
Valley Vet sells it for $38 bag. Feed her up to 1 lb per day

Calf-Manna is a performance supplement that has been around as long as I can remember. 25% protein with yeast, vegetable oil, 12 minerals and 12 vitamins
( a lot easier than mixing your own top dress)

edited to add:
Giving her a dose of probiotic paste wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Beet pulp! Grab a bag of beet pulp, make sure to soak it, and offer her some everyday. Id bottle feed her to 6 months if you can. Switch to a bucket once she gets too rowdy for you. But if i want an animal to bulk up, beet pulp works well.

I'm in South Texas. She's by herself but the other calves are in the pasture beside her. She's been wormed. Has loose minerals and salt available. And has access to a 20% protein tub. Should I give her a weekly dose of red cell? I didn't want to give her copper toxin. Never thought about calf manna. Thanks for the replies. She's a F1 Braford the bull calf I have that's a month younger is bigger than her

I'm in South Texas. She's by herself but the other calves are in the pasture beside her. She's been wormed. Has loose minerals and salt available. And has access to a 20% protein tub. Should I give her a weekly dose of red cell? I didn't want to give her copper toxin. Never thought about calf manna. Thanks for the replies. She's a F1 Braford the bull calf I have that's a month younger is bigger than her
I always did an ounce of Red Cell daily in the feed for my performance horses, in a mix similar to what I told you,. just very little corn. You could add a cup of calf manna to that mix, if you wanted to.

Last edited:
I assume you have wormed her? If not, then I'd do so. At her age, the free choice hay and grazing may be working against you, if the hay and/or grass is low in nutrients, and if she is filling up on that. Try a mixture of 1 quart crimped oats, 1 quart cracked corn, a 16 oz can of alfalfa pellets, a 16 oz can of beet pulp pellets. Pour an ounce of that red cell on it, 2 oz of wheat germ oil, 2 oz of rice bran oil. 4 oz of corn oil. Get a pail of 100% biotin crumbles ,and put a scoop ( that comes with it) in the mix. And a table spoon of loose minerals and a table spoon of salt. The oils and the biotin will make her coat shiny and healthy. and anything good for the hair, is good for the skin and for the hooves. If she clean all of that up, then feed her twice a day, and/or increase the amount of corn and oats in the mix. Do this for a month, and I believe she will be a different looking heifer by March. Is she in a pen or pasture by herself? Or can she be? If so, see if you can find dairy-quality, high-protein alfalfa hay for her. Where are you located?
I don't want to hijack the post, but quick question. Would this mix help a cow that goes to skin and bones and looks near death after 2 calving seasons? The vet checked her the first time it happened and couldn't find anything wrong. Gave her vitamin shot that didn't do much. We thought for sure we would lose her, but she pulled through. Has gone 2 more calving seasons and now looks pretty rough again. She is under 10 years old. Thanks for any input.

WSHN > Sometimes one is ahead to assess the situation (cut their losses) and move on. Good luck however it goes...

WSHN > Sometimes one is ahead to assess the situation (cut their losses) and move on. Good luck however it goes...

I know, but she was my first bottle baby, a twin, and the owner kept her and her sister for me. She is sentimental - not profitable, I know. I have told them if they have to cut her, I will understand, but I want to try to do what I can. She is a great momma, and has given us strong calves. What can I say, I'm the first to admit I cry a lot of tears every time we have a loss. Funny how I am okay with knowing most of the calves will be dinner - but I cannot be there when it is time to load them and send them off. I'm a little odd ;)
EDITED**** I just realized your reply was on the baby calf, not my question. Sorry. Going to leave this here though, just in case anyone else would think I should cull my cow ;)

Last edited:
I know, but she was my first bottle baby, a twin, and the owner kept her and her sister for me. She is sentimental - not profitable, I know. I have told them if they have to cut her, I will understand, but I want to try to do what I can. She is a great momma, and has given us strong calves. What can I say, I'm the first to admit I cry a lot of tears every time we have a loss. Funny how I am okay with knowing most of the calves will be dinner - but I cannot be there when it is time to load them and send them off. I'm a little odd ;)
EDITED**** I just realized your reply was on the baby calf, not my question. Sorry. Going to leave this here though, just in case anyone else would think I should cull my cow ;)
If she is a pet, do what you feel is best. If you are trying to make a profit, then you know the answer.

I don't want to hijack the post, but quick question. Would this mix help a cow that goes to skin and bones and looks near death after 2 calving seasons? The vet checked her the first time it happened and couldn't find anything wrong. Gave her vitamin shot that didn't do much. We thought for sure we would lose her, but she pulled through. Has gone 2 more calving seasons and now looks pretty rough again. She is under 10 years old. Thanks for any input.
She starts looking rough when in the calving season? While nursing? After weaning? She is in good health and fat between weaning one and the birth of the next? What month does she calve? And what month do you wean? What kind of pasture grass? And hay? Are the pastures and hay fields soil-tested and fertilized to specs? What is the condition of the other cows? What breed is she? Yeah, feeding her that mix would be beneficial, but expensive in quantities for a grown cow, especially if you fed it all the time. Try it for a month, and you will be able to tell by then if it is helping or not. You have a pic of this cow? You might post some good pics of this cow on here, and get other people's opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and information on these boards. I learn something from every thread I read.

Last edited:
She starts looking rough when in the calving season? While nursing? After weaning? She is in good health and fat between weaning one and the birth of the next? What month does she calve? And what month do you wean? What kind of pasture grass? And hay? Are the pastures and hay fields soil-tested and fertilized to specs? What is the condition of the other cows? What breed is she? Yeah, feeding her that mix would be beneficial, but expensive in quantities for a grown cow, especially if you fed it all the time. Try it for a month, and you will be able to tell by then if it is helping or not. You have a pic of this cow? You might post some good pics of this cow on here, and get other people's opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and information on these boards. I learn something from every thread I read.
The first time it happened after 2 calving seasons, calf was close to being weaned when she started looking "rough" and then had already been weaned when she got her worst. She missed one calving season and pulled out of it and was looking great. Gave us a calf last year and stayed strong. This year her calf is just over 3 months old and she is starting to look pretty bony. She is 7 or 8 years old, black angus cross, probably some simmental most of the other cows do fine, some get a little bony but come out of it once the calves are weaned. I wasn't planning to feed her the mix for long - just trying to think what I could give her to help her get healthier looking again. I never took a picture when it happened before because it was so pathetic and I was sure we were losing her. This time, she isn't TOO bad, but I thought if I gave her this mix for a bit we might avoid getting so severe. I will try to get a picture of her this weekend. Just started back to full time work away from the home, so it is really cramping my pasture time! **and I agree about all the knowledge on here - I have been lurking for at least 5 years, every time I had a calf with a problem, I would come here and start searching and reading. You all have already helped me save a couple babies. Now that I have joined, look out next calving season, lol! Just kidding - I will still search and read first. I love going through the old threads and pictures. Thanks for being here!

The first time it happened after 2 calving seasons, calf was close to being weaned when she started looking "rough" and then had already been weaned when she got her worst. She missed one calving season and pulled out of it and was looking great. Gave us a calf last year and stayed strong. This year her calf is just over 3 months old and she is starting to look pretty bony. She is 7 or 8 years old, black angus cross, probably some simmental most of the other cows do fine, some get a little bony but come out of it once the calves are weaned. I wasn't planning to feed her the mix for long - just trying to think what I could give her to help her get healthier looking again. I never took a picture when it happened before because it was so pathetic and I was sure we were losing her. This time, she isn't TOO bad, but I thought if I gave her this mix for a bit we might avoid getting so severe. I will try to get a picture of her this weekend. Just started back to full time work away from the home, so it is really cramping my pasture time! **and I agree about all the knowledge on here - I have been lurking for at least 5 years, every time I had a calf with a problem, I would come here and start searching and reading. You all have already helped me save a couple babies. Now that I have joined, look out next calving season, lol! Just kidding - I will still search and read first. I love going through the old threads and pictures. Thanks for being here!
If others get a little bony, too, before weaning, then I'd suspect the problem may lie in the quality of pasture and hay. She may be a harder-keeper than the others, I just don't know. Yes, a month on that mix will do wonders, but my guess is you'd have to keep it up or she will go down again if you breed her. I just don't have a lot of experience with a situation like yours. I have bought poor condition cattle, and gotten them fat and healthy to sell., but this took just a few months. Like most on here, if I had a cow like that in a cow-calf operation, I would have already sold her, especially once she missed a calf season. Maybe some of the others who know a lot more about it than me, will chime in. You said she was angus cross? Any chance she is part dairy, like Holstein?

Calf Manna can be fed to cows as performance booster - up to 2 lbs per day
50 lb bag at 1.75 lbs would last 28 days
Increase her energy intake with a simple 10 lb per day grain feeding
8.25 lbs of cracked or ground corn and top dress c.m. 1.75 lbs for 4 weeks

Last edited:
If others get a little bony, too, before weaning, then I'd suspect the problem may lie in the quality of pasture and hay. She may be a harder-keeper than the others, I just don't know. Yes, a month on that mix will do wonders, but my guess is you'd have to keep it up or she will go down again if you breed her. I just don't have a lot of experience with a situation like yours. I have bought poor condition cattle, and gotten them fat and healthy to sell., but this took just a few months. Like most on here, if I had a cow like that in a cow-calf operation, I would have already sold her, especially once she missed a calf season. Maybe some of the others who know a lot more about it than me, will chime in. You said she was angus cross? Any chance she is part dairy, like Holstein?
Definitely no dairy in her. I know she only got to stay because I raised her, and she is basically my "pet" - all the others do pretty well after calving. May get a bit thin and bony but get back into good condition fairly quickly. The pasture and hay are likely not top notch, but not poor either. Had some of our best looking calves ever this past season. I honestly think the owner keeps this small herd just because his family has always had cattle. And it gives him something to do. I'm going to try this mix for at least a couple weeks, just to see if I can get her the little bit of boost she needs. I won't give up on her until they ship her or I find her hooves up, and she is a long way from that right now. Thanks for all the input!

Hello.
Here is how I manage my girls: avoid overcrowding the pasture, plenty of hay/grass, ample salt and mineral blocks and PARASITE control. I consider parasite control ultra important and we use pour on wormer 2 times each year. Sometimes a really good milker will lose weight: does she wean big calves? Does she nurse more than one calf? (Is she the herd's babysitter?). Hope this helps ya.

Definitely no dairy in her. I know she only got to stay because I raised her, and she is basically my "pet" - all the others do pretty well after calving. May get a bit thin and bony but get back into good condition fairly quickly. The pasture and hay are likely not top notch, but not poor either. Had some of our best looking calves ever this past season. I honestly think the owner keeps this small herd just because his family has always had cattle. And it gives him something to do. I'm going to try this mix for at least a couple weeks, just to see if I can get her the little bit of boost she needs. I won't give up on her until they ship her or I find her hooves up, and she is a long way from that right now. Thanks for all the input!
How much does she weigh, Brenlee?

How much does she weigh, Brenlee?
Yikes, probably around 1000 lbs. She is one of our smaller/shorter cows. Most of the others probably 1200 to 1400 lbs. Just found a picture after last years calf. Her hip bones have stood out more like an older cow right after her first calf. Most of my pictures of her are just head shots...since she is my "best girl", we take lots of selfies, haha! Just found a picture from November - about a month after calving this year. That is the 2nd picture. You can kinda see the drooped belly, and the boniness of her spine. You guys may think I am a bit crazy, but I can see it in her eyes - she just has a dull look too.

Attachments

• 20210207_175529.jpg
    20210207_175529.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201119_165137.jpg
    20201119_165137.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts