Fat back

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have about 100lbs of fat back there's only so much cabbage and fat back I can eat. What else do y'all eat with fat back?

Never heard of fat back I assume it's the back fat of a pig? What to eat with it? I don't know but I'm sure you can get creative with it! ;-)

msplmtneer":rwy70mo2 said:
Use it to season pinto beans :tiphat:

Now I do do that hadn't even thought about that no one likes pintos much but me now.

slick4591":rwy70mo2 said:
msplmtneer":rwy70mo2 said:

Or about any bean. 100 pounds is a lot but you could always freeze it?

I wish I could freeze it but after all the hogs and deer and beef no more freezer space or place to put another freezer :lol:

ga.prime":rwy70mo2 said:
Fry it eat and with lima beans. Canned tomatoes go good with that.

I may try it not a big lima bean person but grandma canned tons of tomatoes so may try those together

ez14.":rwy70mo2 said:
Never heard of fat back I assume it's the back fat of a pig? What to eat with it? I don't know but I'm sure you can get creative with it! ;-)

You are correct.. you should try it

skyhightree1":14tqfdqk said:
msplmtneer":14tqfdqk said:

Now I do do that hadn't even thought about that no one likes pintos much but me now.

slick4591":14tqfdqk said:
msplmtneer":14tqfdqk said:

Or about any bean. 100 pounds is a lot but you could always freeze it?

I wish I could freeze it but after all the hogs and deer and beef no more freezer space or place to put another freezer :lol:

ga.prime":14tqfdqk said:
Fry it eat and with lima beans. Canned tomatoes go good with that.

I may try it not a big lima bean person but grandma canned tons of tomatoes so may try those together

ez14.":14tqfdqk said:

You are correct.. you should try it
I would try it but I don't know where to find it unless you sent me some ;-)

ez14.":2lj2tr6z said:

Fatback aka back fat is gold. It is a firmer fat with a much higher melting point than other fats found on the pig and can be used for a lot of things. Its the choice fat when making salami or other fermented aged meats because it is less prone to smearing so the amount of angel tears are minimized which helps to insure proper drying by reducing the risk of case hardening which can cause spoilage.

Here is a pic showing back fat in salami. Its firm texture lends itself well to drying and aging and gives a silky smooth mouthfeel when products like salami are eaten. This is unlike most of the factory meats which rely on chemistry rather than biochemistry in their production. Factory stuff is typically greasy since the use of the more expensive back fat is not as important.

Jogeephus":3ppectu0 said:
ez14.":3ppectu0 said:

Fatback aka back fat is gold. It is a firmer fat with a much higher melting point than other fats found on the pig and can be used for a lot of things. Its the choice fat when making salami or other fermented aged meats because it is less prone to smearing so the amount of angel tears are minimized which helps to insure proper drying by reducing the risk of case hardening which can cause spoilage.

Here is a pic showing back fat in salami. Its firm texture lends itself well to drying and aging and gives a silky smooth mouthfeel when products like salami are eaten. This is unlike most of the factory meats which rely on chemistry rather than biochemistry in their production. Factory stuff is typically greasy since the use of the more expensive back fat is not as important.

okay your salami looks pretty good is it homemade?

ez14.":24bgvz2t said:
okay your salami looks pretty good is it homemade?[/quote]

Yes, that was venison salami. I use various pork fats to give it a better flavor and texture. The white show pieces are back fat. As the meat dries the stick constricts and the back fat is firm so it doesn't squeeze out grease like other fats would.

With everyone wanting leaner pork its getting harder and harder to find good sources of back fat unless you raise them yourself like Sky did. Sky's pigs had what looked like a gold mine in back fat on them. I know people who would buy every bit of his stash only that would be illegal since I'm sure Sky doesn't have that blue stamp of approval on his pigs. :lol2:

Jogeephus":2s9taonv said:
ez14.":2s9taonv said:
okay your salami looks pretty good is it homemade?

Yes, that was venison salami. I use various pork fats to give it a better flavor and texture. The white show pieces are back fat. As the meat dries the stick constricts and the back fat is firm so it doesn't squeeze out grease like other fats would.

With everyone wanting leaner pork its getting harder and harder to find good sources of back fat unless you raise them yourself like Sky did. Sky's pigs had what looked like a gold mine in back fat on them. I know people who would buy every bit of his stash only that would be illegal since I'm sure Sky doesn't have that blue stamp of approval on his pigs. :lol2:[/quote]

Jo I would never break the law :lol: However, The stamps I tend to work with are green stamps and I approve of those if the buyer does :lol:

Dad used to slice it up and feed it to the dogs along with their regular dog food.

Guess you could go into a candle making sideline :idea: Works good to slick up a hand saw. :D

JW IN VA":227e8ibz said:
Dad used to slice it up and feed it to the dogs along with their regular dog food.

Guess you could go into a candle making sideline :idea: Works good to slick up a hand saw. :D

My grandmas dog which we still have was stealing pieces of the fatback when I first butchered the pigs and pieces fell I guess he really likes it too. I will tell yall this it should be in the tips n tricks if you need to start a fire fatback will do it for you very well. I would even suggest carrying it in a plastic bag if your hiking or something and may need a fire started.

Latest posts