Fastest breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I just checked the cows and found a new heifer calf with 106, I notice her bagging up a little but paid it very little mind. The last two calves she has had came in November, last years was on Nov6 per my book. How in the world did it happen that quick? The calf is no premie by any means, 75 lbs or so and nursing like crazy this morning, gets around great. Anyone ever seen such?

Probably settled at what is called in horses the "foaling heat", the one very soon after foaling(around 2 weeks), or calving in this case.

Could have bred back in 30 days and calved a couple weeks early! We've had quite a few cows breed back in 30-45 days.

dun":gqo5nfe0 said:
Probably settled at what is called in horses the "foaling heat", the one very soon after foaling(around 2 weeks), or calving in this case.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I've had that happen a time or 2, back when I ran a bull year round.

I only pull my bulls a couple months out of the year. Subsequently, I have several do what you are describing. On the one hand, it's less than ideal, on the other hand if she'll do it about 5 times in row you got an extra calf. I've got a sprinkling of cows with a little jersey in them. Seems like they breed back pretty quick, and their calves mature young as well. I like the trait, and they pour milk. To each his own I guess. People talk about it pulling a cow down. They work for me, I don't work for them. Keep green grass in front of them in the summer, and good hay in the winter, and their as slick as a hog gut.

dun":1unn9t2q said:

+1..........we used to breed our racing mares on the foal heat to move them up all the time.

Latest posts