Fast growing Rye Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

jcissell

Reaction score
Have any of you seen the add in the fastline farm equipment magazine for Genetic Seed And Chemical. It says their rye grass produced 11.5 round bales per acre on 45 acres and in another 17 acres produced 156 5x6 round bales. Also they claim they are running 200 head on under 53 acres. Seems like a miracle grass. Have any of you had any experience with this? Their webpage is http://www.geneticseed.com

Josh

These sound like the typical claim when trying to sell a product. Are they possible..... yes, with great conditions, a high level of management, and lots of soil fertility. Are they normal results under normal conditions? That is not likely. It is amazing what can be achieved with the right amount of water and nutrients that are timed correctly. It just isn't always cost effective to do it.
Dave

I've seen the ads. I've been waiting on someone else to try the stuff. I figure that it is about like world feeder, it will support more bull on paper than pasture.

JB

Actually I called the guy yesterday and they started with 125,000 bags and are now down to I think 1200 left. He said he wasn't for sure how the land was that the 11.5 bales per acre was baled on but he does know that his cousin had some land that is not very good land that they got 9.5 bales an acre on. He Told me that if I put 2 cows and acre on this stuff they can't eat it fast enough. He also told me a lot of other figures just don't fell like typing all this stuff.

Josh

Josh, take all that "he said" stuff with a very big grain of salt! Sounds a lot like the stuff the Worldfeeder guys were claiming. But it may work out for you just as the guy says. If so, or in any event, please be sure to post about it here on CT later on, along with some details relating to your soil conditions & quality, ph, location, fertilizer, rainfall, temperature patterns, planting dates, stocking rates, etc. Good luck.

Yeh I know what you are saying. I may try and put about 20 acres in this stuff this winter to see how well it does. I think it would only be around $380 for that. If it is that good then great, but if not, then I won't loose too much.

Josh

jcissell":190jlel8 said:
Actually I called the guy yesterday and they started with 125,000 bags and are now down to I think 1200 left. He said he wasn't for sure how the land was that the 11.5 bales per acre was baled on but he does know that his cousin had some land that is not very good land that they got 9.5 bales an acre on. He Told me that if I put 2 cows and acre on this stuff they can't eat it fast enough. He also told me a lot of other figures just don't fell like typing all this stuff.

Josh

Josh:
What is the name of the grass and how do you contact the seed people. I would like to talk to them.
Harry

Arnold Ziffle":1q9zlsod said:
Josh, take all that "he said" stuff with a very big grain of salt! Sounds a lot like the stuff the Worldfeeder guys were claiming. But it may work out for you just as the guy says. If so, or in any event, please be sure to post about it here on CT later on, along with some details relating to your soil conditions & quality, ph, location, fertilizer, rainfall, temperature patterns, planting dates, stocking rates, etc. Good luck.

Agree AZ sounds like more cow flop to me.

I would like to try but my cattle fund is running low right now....
Maybe I trust people too much but I can't imagine someone just down right lying about something. Especially when they have the reputation of a business to uphold.

Josh

jcissell":3dacv59x said:
I can't imagine someone just down right lying about something. Especially when they have the reputation of a business to uphold.

Josh

Have you looked at the World Feeder Bermuda hype and then talked with any users of it for their experience with it.

Josh,

For what it's worth, I went to look at my friends rye fields and they were pretty impressive for around here. He grazed the faster pasture stuff last year and says it did really well for him. He got some Nov/Dec grazing (he had it in corn stubble) but he was most impressed with the spring growth. Early and fast.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I think we are just gonna have to tough it out this year and get some of this stuff next year. I've got to completely rebuild our working pens before we have fun worming/vaccinating in the spring. I believe that is going to take most any money we have.

Josh

Been there, still doing that. Good luck. Putting money and effort into our pens and alleys was one of the few smart things we've done. We're shooting for next year also.

Lee

jcissell":12t8of0w said:
Have any of you seen the add in the fastline farm equipment magazine for Genetic Seed And Chemical. It says their rye grass produced 11.5 round bales per acre on 45 acres and in another 17 acres produced 156 5x6 round bales. Also they claim they are running 200 head on under 53 acres. Seems like a miracle grass. Have any of you had any experience with this? Their webpage is http://www.geneticseed.com

Josh

Waste of money I assure you from 1st hand experience. I planted 50 acres of the Faster Pasture and fertilized at the rate suggested. Spent more than $3000 total for seed and fertilizer to get no more forage than the typical rye grass which cost much less. Nothing more than a gimmick. In short, I have learned at an old age the mere addition of the right fertilizer makes any grass grow. Faster Pasture is nothing more than regular rye grass I assure you.

Thanks for your input. Did you get much rain on the fasture pasture you planted? Not doubting you, just asking.

Josh